MTB Clipless shoes on a road bike

northern lad
northern lad Posts: 13
edited October 2009 in Road buying advice
Got a pair of Specialized Clipless shoes and want to use them on my new road bike. Is this possible, if so can anyone recommend a pair of decent mid-range pedals.

Thanks

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    no need to spend more than £20 on a pair of shimano m520's
  • +1

If you're not likely to ride with trainers the the M520's are fine. I use them as I find it more convenient to walk round during a ride.

If you are planning on wearing trainers occasionally then you can get SPD pedals with either half or full flats.
  • Time Atax is also coming down in price. They are super pedals as well.
    http://cyclingshoesonline.com - your source for shoe news
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Escargot wrote:
    If you are planning on wearing trainers occasionally then you can get SPD pedals with either half or full flats.

no no no... the half and half pedals are a nightmare. You can do short distances on full spds with trainers, the half and half pedals seem to always be the wrong way up!

The m540 have better sealing and are only a bit more. Both the m520 and the m540 are great starter pedals, you can then see what you like and move from there...
  • cw42
    cw42 Posts: 205
    Got my last 2 pair of spd pedals from leisure lakes in Bury for £20 each. shimano 520's taken off budget bikes where owners have upgraded from the outset.
    Cheap and cheerful, but do the job on my mtb and new road bike no problem :)
    Only got the one pair of shoes so they're getting a hammering atm :(
    live long, eat biscuit
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    the Halfords bikehut spuds are good and lighter than the Shimano offerings @300g.

Even the M540s are 350g-ish

Exustar have also had some good reveiews.

Avoid Xpedo though. Light but they eat their (non-replaceable) bushings in no time.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • naive
    naive Posts: 47
    ride_whenever wrote:
    Escargot wrote:

no no no... the half and half pedals are a nightmare. You can do short distances on full spds with trainers, the half and half pedals seem to always be the wrong way up!

The m540 have better sealing and are only a bit more. Both the m520 and the m540 are great starter pedals, you can then see what you like and move from there...

I disagree. I use shimano A530 (or something like that) half and half touring pedals on my road bike. They are great with clip-in shoes or with trainers or even normal shoes. All you have to remember is that you push your foot forward onto the pedal with the clip in shoes and pull in backward onto the pedal with the flat shoes, then the pedal is always the right way up.