BB facing in Tameside?

Sloper
Sloper Posts: 141
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Does anyone know where I can get a bottom-bracket shell faced, in the Tameside area? Or maybe Stockport or Oldham areas? If not, how about the NW, or West Yorks!? :lol:

And what I might expect to pay for this job?

Ta.

Comments

• look in the yellow pages for "bike shop" and it'll cost around £20ish.
  • Sloper
    I've tried several bikeshops.

Thanks for your help :roll:
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Hargreaves at Dewsbury if it's not too far for you.
  • Sloper
    There has to be somewhere closer than Dewsbury. Thanks though :)
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    CraigXXL wrote:

Eh? Tameside's in South East Manchester!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    Sloper wrote:
    I've tried several bikeshops.

Thanks for your help :roll:

And why can't they help?

What about Cooksons in Whitefield or Leisure Lakes at Bury, there's also Evans' on Deansgate in Manchester, and Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op pn Wilmslow Road in Rusholme.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • pypdjl
    pypdjl Posts: 52
    NWMTB in cheadle can do it. Why do you need it facing? If it's just for an external BB I wouldn't bother.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    dave_hill wrote:
    CraigXXL wrote:

Eh? Tameside's in South East Manchester!!

Or if you read his original post West Yorkshire where I do believe is Dewsbury.
  • dave_hill
    CraigXXL wrote:
    Or if you read his original post West Yorkshire where I do believe is Dewsbury.

He must be bloody desperate then if he can't find someone in Manchester... :roll:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Sloper
    pypdjl wrote:
    NWMTB in cheadle can do it. Why do you need it facing? If it's just for an external BB I wouldn't bother.

I had the frame powder coated and they coated over the end of the BB shell and the steerer-tube. Most opinion seems to be that I should get them both faced before fitting a new BB. Others say they've never had a problem and not to bother! I'd feel much better knowing it was right.

I haven't got the new BB yet and don't know anything about them. They've changed since I was last building bikes in my teens! So if I get an external, having the BB shell faced is probably not necessary?

NWMTB in Cheadle? Yep, one shop I phoned recommended them too, cheers :)
  • pypdjl
    pypdjl Posts: 52
    Supposedly it is more important with external BBs, I'm not convinced it makes any difference!

NW can definitely do it though.
  • Sloper
    Thought I'd give North West Mountainbikes of Cheadle, Stockport a mention. They did me a chase and face of my BB shell, faced my head tube and also pressed my headset cups into place, for just £20. Well worth it just to know it's right. Friendly service too. Top shop :D