L/S Jersey & Lightweight Waterproof

rdt
rdt Posts: 869
edited October 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm returning to cycling after nearly {cough} 3 years off and am looking for
(i) long sleeve jersey;
(ii) very lightweight water-proof jacket.

I'm tall and slim, over 6' 3", which means much kit which fits on the torso isn't long enough in the arm.

In the past, I've not found a l/s jersey that fitted well in the sleeve (though not particularly looked, truth be known), so have used s/s jerseys with arm warmers. When cold, have used a Rapha l/s merino base underneath the s/s jersey and arm warmers.

I'd like to find a l/s jersey that fits well in the sleeve and is a High Visibility / Fluoro colour.

Similarly with the lightweight waterproof jacket. I currently have a Montane Velo Featherlight, which fits well, with good sleeve length. While it is good as an extra layer when it's very cold, and is very light and packable, it's almost totally useless at keeping rain off.

So I'd like to find a very lightweight jacket with good sleeve length that is reasonably waterproof, fairly breathable, easily packable, and again is a High Visibility / Fluoro colour.

I was reading the Softshell Jacket thread with interest:-
http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&start=0

My views are pretty much in line with onthefells' pete54's on that thread regarding preferring packable lightweight waterproofs instead of warm jackets. I ride in the Peak District, which seems to equate to enforced hill intervals, so get very warm if wearing anything remotely thick/heavy.

So suggestions for (i) fluoro l/s jerseys and (ii) very lightweight fluoro rain jackets, both with very long sleeves appreciated!

cheers :)

Comments

• gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    I have a similar build 6'2", 34.5" shirt sleeve length.

Light jacket: CASTELLI make a packaway rainproof jacket (might be called race jacket), white. Sleeve length is just adequate.

L/s jersey: still looking for myself!
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    gbs wrote:

Light jacket: CASTELLI make a packaway rainproof jacket (might be called race jacket), white. Sleeve length is just adequate.

Castelli velo if I'm not mistaken.
    Found mine on sale, 40£ at winstanley:
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... acket_2008
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • I just brought a Gore Oxygen III. Certainly seems long in the arms, waterproof and very lightweight.
  • rdt
    Thanks for the input.

After trawling the tinterweb for reviews and comments, the Gore Oxygen (Paclite) seems to fit the bill better than anything else. £120 is steep, and colours could be brighter, but hey ho.

I'll keep looking for the jersey...

Cheers.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Budget option alert...!!!!

I looked at the cycling jacket in Aldi last month and did not buy as they seemed to heavy for my requirements.

Today I bought their yellow, ultra lightweight wind proof, water resistant running jacket,,,this thing is really quite thin, but appears strong....clearly not top of the range etc...but at £14.95.
    may see you through until you find a better one?
  • jam7952
    jam7952 Posts: 17
    Recently shelled out £53 for an Endura FS260 long sleeve jersey, it has a breatheable windproof gilet sewn in to the fornt of the body and front of the arms, with a thermal insulating material that makes up the rest of the jersey, well happy with it and would reccomend it to anyone, especially for the price! :D
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    ...would arm-warmers worn with your short sleeve jersey be an option?
    Cycling weakly
  • rdt
    I'll have a goosey in Aldi - the problem with that shop is that I can easily lose 2 hours once I start rooting through the car-boot section in the middle of the store, and buy all sorts of "useful" items I don't need, plus a load of obscure processed pork products of questionable origin :lol: From past experience, the Crane Sports stuff doesn't have sleeves long enough for me.

The Endura FS260 Pro Jetstream has, so I understand, a black back for all jersey colours, so fails the visibility test.

Re the arm warmers with s/s jersey: that's what I've done in the past. I've recently tried a Trek Mates long sleeve Merino base layer under the s/s jersey and that works similarly, so is my solution for now.

Cheers for the input!
  • I bought an XXL Gore Oxygen III in my local Evans about 6 weeks ago, marked down to £79.99. Am almost 6'7", and wear 36" sleeve shirts. Sleeves of the jacket are easily long enough -- in fact before I sat on my bike I was afraid they might be a tad too long. Great piece of kit!
  • I bought a lusso aqua for £25 from an LBS. Used it on the tour of the pennines sportive ( so similar riding to the peaks) , which if you look on the sportive threads was a terrible day extremley windy with stinging horizontal rain. The jacket was superb and did just as well as the more expensive stuff mymates were wearing. For the price you can't go wrong.
    bike radar review
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • rdt
    I was in a bike shop this weekend, overheard some punters (who were in the trade) talking to shop assistant they knew, saying they didn't know how anyone could face paying retail price for cycling clothing such are the many absurd prices.

I know exactly how they feel, but sadly without their @trade-price option....

I have an older Lusso rain jacket, which fits well in the body but the sleeves aren't long enough (= freezing wrists in cold rain)- so confined to the bottom drawer now.

BS didn't have the Oxygen jacket in stock, but had Oxygen SO soft-shell; despite what I wrote earlier, thought I'd try it as a long sleeve jersey option, due to rave reviews. It's cut very short at the front, maybe too short for someone tall. Will have to mull this over due to monstrous potential price tag total of Oxygen + Oxygen SO :shock: :lol:
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    gbs wrote:

Assos Intermediate - I am similar build and XLG fits me. Best jersey I have ever had apart from my Assos Evo LS Jersey.
    Brian B.