Massi frames

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,589
edited October 2009 in Road buying advice
Just been into another LBS to see what is available for £1000 and they showed me two Massi frames (i.e. Spanish Massi not Italian Masi!), one was aluminium lugged and the other a full monocoque. I have to admit I loved the look of the frames and I would have the choice of groupset for the build unlike most of the other bikes I've looked at that come off the peg but will have to contribute something towards the complete bike as it will exceed the £1000. I understand they are fairly new to the market and most forum subjects I've found seem to end up in confusion talking about the Italian Masi! Does anyone have any experience of the frames who could tell me how good they are?

My favoured alternatives at the moment are a Wilier La Triestina, Orbea Onix, Viner Celler Fuga / Gladius and the Ribble Sportive but I haven't seen any in the flesh yet and hopefully the carbon alternatives in this list will be equally as easy on the eye. I still think I may be better going for one of these and upgrading the groupset as and when I can afford it.

Comments

• Pross
    Bump. Anyone?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    They are not that new to the market - my brother had a Massi bike when we were kids and I had a BH.

Anyway, they seem to source frames from Deda and other suppliers so the quality should be good. Their base carbon frame is the same as the Planet X Pro Carbon.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Pross
    Thanks, that's interesting. Do Deda actually build in Italy as I was specifically told the frames were assembled in Italy. Not sure what frames I saw then, the monocoque didn't seem to have the same compact geometry of the Planet X which I hate the look of!

Think I'll stay with the Orbea, Wilier or Viner.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    They are not a bad brand though, their bikes are used at continental level on the road and mtb (probably where they are best known!)

http://www.casamasferrer.com/marc_inici_eng.htm
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra