LeJog in May?

raybo
raybo Posts: 87
edited October 2009 in Tour & expedition
I have an opportunity to bike tour in England (I live in San Francisco) in late May, 2010.

I have family in England, done tours there in the past and know that weather can be a major factor for bike touring in England.

I suspect that late May is a bit early to be riding into Scotland without experiencing windy, wet weather.

Is this true?

What other routes might be good for a late May bike tour in the UK?

Thanks,

Ray

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    On the contrary, May can be the hottest and sunniest month in Scotland! The thing is that the weather is unreliable, and any expectations as to what you'd get are likely to be proved wrong - or alternatively, you might see every kind of weather in rapid succession.
    On average, May is slightly cooler than the summer (night frosts still common), and tends to be drier than the later months in the west but with less difference in the east, which is where the lejog routes tend to go - the length of Scotland up the west coast must be a great tour, but look at a map and you'll see the roads aren't exactly direct...
  • There are two bank holidays in May which make it one of the busiest months for LEJOGers.
  • I did my JOGLE this year in May and the weather was ideal. I did a swift one in just over 4 days and the weather was great, mainly dry with light winds. I had half a day of rain and head winds and the rest of the time, pretty much ideal conditions. By going in May you are also generally ahead of the midges which can be a nightmare in Scotland, June through to September.
  • I did LEJOG in April of this year and only had one day of rain, the rest being sunny or at least overcast. It was was windy though on a couple of days in Scotland.

The weather in July and August in UK this year was rubbish, loads of rain and never very warm. Conversely, we have just had a terific September with sunny days and mild cycling-friendly temperatures So come when it suits you, it's a lottery outside-it's why we have have weather not climate.
    “I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle.”

http://mendiprouleur.blogspot.com/