Changing Groupsets

fooshnicken
fooshnicken Posts: 84
edited October 2009 in Road buying advice
Morning everyone,

I bought my Orbea Fleche nearly twleve months ago and it came with a mix of Sora, Tiagra and 105 components. The bike didn't cost the earth but I bought it primarily for the frame as it had some good reviews and I preferred it to other bikes I had ridden in the same price bracket. It was also my first road bike.

I am now thinking of changing the entire groupset for Campagnolo, either the Veloce or Centaur range. I am expecting to have to replace the wheels too. Next year I expect that I will then look for a different frame.

The reason for choosing Campag is that I like the thumb lever for shifting gears...obviously a personal choice. My current shifters are Sora and I find trying to use the thumb levers when on the drops impossible.

My question is this, would you change the groupset or buy a different bike based on what it will cost to change the groupset?

Comments

• dboden
    dboden Posts: 349
    I would go for a new bike.. keep that one as the hack!!!
    Should still be some bargains about too.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    mmm....the bike itself isn't that old but if you intend to replace the wheels, groupset and also frame by next year, I'd also look about for a new replacement of the entire bike (if this is affordable to you in a lump sum). If I was to change just the groupset, I'd go for Veloce, simply on the basis that as its for an older, lower end, used frame, it's still very functional and and is cheaper.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Aren't the Sora levers more like Campag than the rest of the Shimano range. If you don't get on with them then is Campag the right choice?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    inseine wrote:
    Aren't the Sora levers more like Campag than the rest of the Shimano range. If you don't get on with them then is Campag the right choice?

I think he meant that he likes the idea of the thumbshifters, but doesn't like the fact that the design on Sora is so poor that you cannot reach them from the drops. However, if he were to switch to Campag, he would have thumbshifters that could be used from this position.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    I can't see the point in replacing a whole groupset for what is really a minor issue.

If you want to improve the bike you've got, best bet would be new handbuilt wheels with some decent tyres.

If you really want a new groupset, wheels and frame, then just buy a new bike it'll be cheaper in the long run.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    New bike would make much more sense, and make sure it has Campag.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    if you do buy a new groupset then either go for last years groups as they are cheaper for sometimes minimal improvements, or if you really want the current groupset then wait a few months as some of the groupsets are already getting the 2010 edition through so the 09 versions will begin to drop in price soon
  • Thanks for all the responses, it's given me something to think about.