British World Championships

FJS
FJS Posts: 4,820
edited September 2009 in Pro race
Goodwood was 1982, Leicester 1970. With 9 riders in the men's RR Britain is now a 'big country' in cycling. All other West European countries prominent in cycling, and some elsewhere, have organised a World Championship more recently. There are always different candidates eager to make some money for local economies. Time for the UK to host?

And if so, what would be a good place for a world championship course, RR and TT? Plenty of hilly places, but what about local support?

Comments

• I think Sheffield would be good, for personal reasons, or a similar kind of city built on hills where a decent course can be found

I was thinking about this the other day, that it's been soooo long since we've had one.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    We seem to get our fair share of Track WOrld Championships. Would be nice to see the Road World Champs here also. Lots of hills in the Peak District that can break their legs and spirits!
  • Centre of Edinburgh - steep hills, cobbles and history all in the same square mile.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Bristol (my hometown). Steep hills, nice scenic city, "cycling city" whatever that means might be relevant , nice hilly roads out of town too (cheddar etc).
    Of course I think Dundee would be good, 'cos I'm sure I 'd be faster on my commuting route than the pros :wink:
  • Philip S wrote:
    Centre of Edinburgh - steep hills, cobbles and history all in the same square mile.

And, if the riders get tired then they can always jump on the Tram.....if they're ready......and the country hasn't been bankrupted by them :lol:
  • Love to see it here but it's depressingly hard to imagine any city closing down a 10 mile or so circuit for 4 solid days - though it'll be interesting to see how London copes with the Olympics.

But forgetting about that...

Bristol and Edinburgh would both be good
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Brighton and surrounding areas cold be nice.

A longer lap over the downs at least once finishing on Marina Drive on the beach.

I'd love to see the top guys suffering up Ditchling Beacon for the 14th time :)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Anywhere is free to submit an application to the UCI to host the event.

Somewhere like Mendrisio is quite a small place, although I suspect a lot of the bills were met by the regional government.

Does anyone have any information on the costs associated and the bidding process?
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Centre of Edinburgh - steep hills, cobbles and history all in the same square mile.

You mean where the Rapha crit was? Err how the hell is a Worlds sized field going to fit into that space :roll:

Plenty of places in the UK could hold the World champs, e.g. Rivington held the commenwealths, celtic manor has held a womens world cup and the nationals.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Somewhere like Harrogate, nice town near to some good climbs?

Or Buxton...
  • eh wrote:

You mean where the Rapha crit was? Err how the hell is a Worlds sized field going to fit into that space :roll:

Hardly - it's not a crit - for the Worlds you'd stick them right through the centre - Arthur's Seat, Royal Mile, Grassmarket, Princes Street, New Town, down to Leith. Of course, they'd have to bunny hop the tramlines, but that would add to the spectacle. :lol: Clearly, it ain't going to happen, but I can but dream. :wink:
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Philip S wrote:

Oh yeah. That'd be super-safe in the first part of the race with the Japanese, Chinese, Iranians, Argentinians, etc.. and their vast experience on cobbles. It would be crash-tacular for sure, though.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I have the perfect place.

A cycling culture? Check
    Hills? Check
    Don't mind shutting down the roads for a race on two wheels? Check
    A local hero to cheer for? Check
    Duty free for the journos? Check

I give you - The Isle of Man

Now, I don't know what the hotel situation is like - but they seem to cope with the TT OK.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • True... The TT has a couple of climbs, including the lengthy drag over Snae Fell, and thankfully they're good for racing and not the comedy gradients that appeal to the Beecher's Brook mentaility of amateur riders and UK sportive organisers.

Weather could be an issue at this time of year. A strong gale off the Irish Sea could mean the peloton is climbing one side of the island faster than it descends the other.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Abergavenny - has always hosted good racing around there including this years nationals. Couple of times up the Tumble or make a bigger loop to include some of the other hills in the area but may need to find a better finishing straight or possibly a course starting and finishing in Cardiff but taking in the same route. Mind you they could always go for Swansea and use Constitution Hill that featured in the Kellogs tour about 10 years ago - only time I've seen pro riders forced to dismount outside of anything inclusing the Kemmelburg, 19 times up there would sort the men from the boys :shock:

Outside of my bias for Wales the IOM would be great (whatever happened to the International Cycling week?) or Bristol via the Mendips with a finishing straight up Park Street would be good.
  • Cardiff? Plenty of nearby hills and used to hosting big international events.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Everyone's talking about hills...

...but if it came to British shores then surely the course would be designed to satisfy Mark Cavendish?
  • ... or Emma Pooley?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Kléber wrote:
    Everyone's talking about hills...

...but if it came to British shores then surely the course would be designed to satisfy Mark Cavendish?

Norwich it is then.

Who knows if he'll be top dog in four or five years time. It might all be about Swift and Kennaugh.
    Twitter: @RichN95