'Quick' Speedplay Pedals / R076 Road Shoe Question

Caligari_uk
Caligari_uk Posts: 186
edited October 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm sure there are similar threads, but I always seem to have trouble with the search tool on this (otherwise brilliant) site.

I've never used Speedplay Zeros before, but their generous 'float' has tempted me into putting in an order (I guess I can always sell them on here or eBay if things don't work out). :)

I also want to put in an order for a cheap-ish pair of road shoes. I'm sure there are better options out there, but I've decided that I'd like to try out a pair of Shimano R076 shoes.

Can anyone tell me if these are 'compatible' with Speedplay Zeros?

It would also be great to hear any feedback on the pedals and/or shoes.

Comments

• See Here

I use Speedplays and they are great, what more can I say! Not used the Shoes but have the R086, (one size larger than normal) they are also top notch.
  • I've got a couple of pairs of speedplays, one set of cleats on some nothwave shoes, one on shimano shoes. If you go to the speedplay website and download the documentation on the pedals it indicates the range of shoes compatible with the pedals (a wide range)

And yep, they're great
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • Thanks again for the help, guys.

I've just re-ordered the Speedplays (after Parkers cancelled my original order) - but the Shimano R076 shoes are already here. They're great - they're the first 'serious' road shoes that I have owned (all of my others have been more MTB style).

Is it actually at all possible to walk in these things? I sometimes have to stop off at the shops when out for a ride, but I really can't see myself being able to ice-skate up and down the aisles without breaking my neck.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Is it actually at all possible to walk in these things? I sometimes have to stop off at the shops when out for a ride, but I really can't see myself being able to ice-skate up and down the aisles without breaking my neck.
    Yes, you'll need some of these though. http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... leatcovers They help protect the cleats from getting worn down (not a big problem really) and clogged with gunk if you have to walk across grass, dirt, etc. The main advantage of the covers is to provide traction and protect soft floors from being damaged by the cleats. (Er, I just noticed that's pretty much what the Speedplay ad says about the covers.) :lol:
  • Is it actually at all possible to walk in these things? I sometimes have to stop off at the shops when out for a ride, but I really can't see myself being able to ice-skate up and down the aisles without breaking my neck.
    Yes, you'll need some of these though. http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... leatcovers They help protect the cleats from getting worn down (not a big problem really) and clogged with gunk if you have to walk across grass, dirt, etc. The main advantage of the covers is to provide traction and protect soft floors from being damaged by the cleats. (Er, I just noticed that's pretty much what the Speedplay ad says about the covers.) :lol:

Excellent, thanks Cranky. I've just put in an order for a pair.