boardman cassette question

bing gordon
bing gordon Posts: 662
edited October 2009 in Road buying advice
im not very techy when it comes to cassettes and gear ratio's so here goes ;-

a m8 just phoned me to say his "BOARDMAN PRO ROAD 08 (ali + dura ace ) back wheel was robbed outside his girlfriends.
he's got a spare wheel to see him through but he'll need a new cassette. he's not sure what rear cassette he originally had on.i've looked on the net but i cant find any specs on it even on the boardman home page on this particular model/year.

the only link i could find is this ;
http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/2352
he said he wouldnt mind something replacing the cassette with more a higher gears for the hills nr by ,,,,.
i wasnt sure due to differnet chains and stuff + i've not a clue which doesnt help him much so can anyone help with any links ?.
thanks all.

Comments

• sorry to keep this thread going but does anyone know the exact model of the original rear cassette on a BOARDMAN PRO ROAD 08 ?.i cant find any specs on the aliminium frame carbon forked version and im wondering if the rear cassette is the exact same one as on the pro full carbon version.
    (as in the link above).
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    The casette will probably be the same spec as the groupset...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • im not 100% sure on that cause the brakes arent dura ace and the crankset aint.
    im having probs chain and cassette wise with gear chaging so i thought its best ot buy the exact same rear cassette that was on it in the first place ..not as easy as i thought as its no were on the boardman or halfords sites.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    If buying a new cassette you will more than likely need a new chain, so go with whatever your mate can afford.

Or take it to a LBS and ask them.
  • thanks for the help guys but can anyone find any spec lists on this particular model ?.i've spent hours but no joy .
  • Percy Vera
    Why?
  • well basically , the wheel was replaced with a temp one and a 10 SPD ultegra 6600 cassette was used with the chain still no the bike.
    there's a bad gear change so my friend is sumising its the 6600 cassette not compat with the chain.
    he wants to keep it exactly as it was , front / rear mech / chainset / chain and rear cassette so if ever its sold at a later date its as was and not downgraded as its a well specced bike with upgraded wheels he intends to buy as well.
    as it is its unrideable due to this very bad slip crunch gear change.
  • Percy Vera
    The bad gear change will be due to the fact that the chain has not been replaced as well.

Chains & cassettes wear into each other and that is why when you replace one you have to replace the other.

Dura ace is compatible with Ultegra & 105 so he can buy what he likes, as long as it's the same speed ie 10spd or 9spd.

So in reference to my previous post, tell him to buy whatever he likes ie Shimano

If he doesn't want to downgrade it then play it safe and buy Dura Ace, but TBH it won't make that much difference to resale value as it will need to be placed anyway at a later date
  • freebs
    freebs Posts: 199
    http://www.boardmanbikes.com/2008/

Best I can do i'm afraid!!
  • came with a shimano 105 12-25 cassette, i have the same bike :D
    It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
  • top man chris281192 thanks for that , , would you know the actual model of this rear cassette ? sorry for been a pest and what chain models on yours just to be 100% im on the right track.

have you seen any specs onlnie for the bike ?/ even halfords dont have any.

alsop , would an ultegra 6600 not be a suitable replacement or is the shimano 105 totally different size wise ?.
    thanks for the help chaps . much appreciated.
  • ultegra - 105 - same spacing, so both shoudl be equally good on the bike
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • ive just managed to find out what the original cassette would have a been :-

shimano 105 5600 10 speed

and the chain thats still on the bike from the original purchase is a:-

sram pc951 9 speed chain.

personally i have very little knowledge of compatability of gear systems so can someone please explain :-

would a 9 speed chain not be too thick for a 10 speed cassette and make changing gear nr impossible ?.as i stated before he put an ultegra 6600 10 speed cassette on and used the original SRAM PC951 9 speed chain that was still on the bike from purchase.

the 10 speed cassette + a 9 speed chain has lost me totally.

sorry for going on and on chaps but this compatability is a mne field to wade through if you dont have a clue !! (like me).
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Should have a 10 speed chain. I doubt that a 9 speed chain would ever have worked very well on a 10 speed drivetrain. If this really is the original chain (and your mate isn't just saying that because he doesn't want to look like an idiot who bought the wrong chain for his bike :wink: ) then he should take the bike back to where he got it and get the correct chain (a 10 speed one).
    More problems but still living....
  • i phoned up halfords who then checked on their replacement stock lists and they said the chain replacement for a BOARDMAN PRO ROAD 08 would be a SRAM PC951 9 SPD CHAIN.

now this has totally baffled me ,,,can anyone who owns a boardman road pro 08 ali frame please confirm this to be true or false.surely a 9 SPD chain on a 10SPD cassette just aint gonna go ,is it ?.