GROUPSETS

watto1minis
watto1minis Posts: 17
edited September 2009 in Road buying advice
HI GUYS
im after a bit of advice do i go for -

Shimano Ultegra SL
or
Campagnolo Chorus??

also is there alot of difference between the two im after your expertise it will be going on a Carbon frame and forks.

thanks in advance
«1

Comments

  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Campagnolo and SRAM are the best options.
    I like bikes...

    Twitter
    Flickr
  • is there alot of difference?
    im pretty new to the sport and just wondered what most people prefer and get along with.

    any advice is much appreciated
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    SRAM and Campagnolo, make the bike go faster, more reliably and increase your sex appeal.
    I like bikes...

    Twitter
    Flickr
  • right ok ill have to look into it a bit more i think

    need wheels to so it could get expnsive lol
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Then when you have new wheels and group we can start looking at a new frame...
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Once you have your new frame we'll look at upgrading your finishing kit...
  • we can start looking at a new frame...

    LOL! I think we need more info on just what frame you're thinking of too - or haven't you even got that far?

    Trek, Specialized and Giant etc tend to have Shimano.

    Wilier, Bianchi and Colnago - Campag.

    Just what I tend to see around that's all.
  • i have a new carbon frame and forks i just need groupset and wheels
  • And your frame is?
  • sorry its a Btwin F700 Pro
  • http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech/200 ... ti_btwin07

    Check THAT bike out..............with juicy CAMPAG RECORD. Yeah, baby :D
  • well i can get a
    Shimano Ultegra Sl groupset with whells for £500
    or
    Campag Chorus groupset with wheels for £900.

    is the campag groupset orth £400 more??
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    is the campag groupset orth £400 more??

    Easily
    I like bikes...

    Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i have a new carbon frame and forks i just need groupset and wheels

    Give it two weeks and we will be discussing frame upgrades.....

    And seatpost.

    And stem.

    And bars.

    Then you'll be asking if Assos shorts are worth it and will then buy a pair having started a thread about Assos sizing.

    Then you'll start a 'what power meter?' thread. Closely followed by 'What winter bike?'
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    well i can get a
    Shimano Ultegra Sl groupset with whells for £500
    or
    Campag Chorus groupset with wheels for £900.

    is the campag groupset orth £400 more??

    YES!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    HI GUYS
    im after a bit of advice do i go for -

    Shimano Ultegra SL
    or
    Campagnolo Chorus??

    also is there alot of difference between the two im after your expertise it will be going on a Carbon frame and forks.

    thanks in advance


    Both are very good component groups. They work very well, are backed by reputable companies, and will give you more than a few years of excellent service(if you keep them adjusted and lubed). They do operate slightly different, in that the way you shift them is not quite the same, but it's nothing to obsess over. You put your fingers out there,
    push a lever a half inch or so, and bingo, gears change. No big deal.
  • hi NapoleonD
    thanks for your input but NO we wont all i was after was a bit of advice on ONE thing i have all of the other components but if you cannot give friendly advice then maybe you are on the wrong thing

    thanks for everyone elses feedback much appreciated
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I'm not a lover of Campag... Don't like the Ergo thumbshifter thingy majig!
    I have SRAM Force, which I think is very good, and today I bought the new Ultegra 6700 groupset.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    hi NapoleonD
    thanks for your input but NO we wont all i was after was a bit of advice on ONE thing i have all of the other components but if you cannot give friendly advice then maybe you are on the wrong thing

    thanks for everyone elses feedback much appreciated

    You'll see.

    You'll all see.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Go and try some bikes with the different groupsets on.

    They all work, just in different ways. Most people on here would, I'm sure, just recommend what's on their latest bike.

    Campag have the thumb shifter, which I personally don't get on with. Shimano use a lever behind the brake lever for one shift and the whole break lever for the other so both are operated by your fingers, which I prefer. Sram use one lever with a double tap for one kind of shift as far as I'm aware but I've never used them.


    IMO Campag look better than Shimano but I'd never consider Campag due to the thumby shifter. I'm keen to see what Sram is like.

    That's just me, I'm sure others have different views so the best thing would be to try for yourself.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Evil Laugh wrote:
    Go and try some bikes with the different groupsets on.

    They all work, just in different ways. Most people on here would, I'm sure, just recommend what's on their latest bike.

    Campag have the thumb shifter, which I personally don't get on with. Shimano use a lever behind the brake lever for one shift and the whole break lever for the other so both are operated by your fingers, which I prefer. Sram use one lever with a double tap for one kind of shift as far as I'm aware but I've never used them.


    IMO Campag look better than Shimano but I'd never consider Campag due to the thumby shifter. I'm keen to see what Sram is like.

    That's just me, I'm sure others have different views so the best thing would be to try for yourself.

    I have Ultegra with a little bit of Dura Ace on my winter / training bike, I wouldn't recommend it over Centaur (Athena?) / SRAM Rival.

    I have SRAM Red on my BestBike(tm) and love the feel of the hoods and the shifting is much crisper than the Shimano. I know people who have Rival and rave about that. The Shimano is very smooth but feels sluggish in comparison.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    NapoleonD wrote:
    well i can get a
    Shimano Ultegra Sl groupset with whells for £500
    or
    Campag Chorus groupset with wheels for £900.

    is the campag groupset orth £400 more??

    YES!

    C'mon, guy sounds like he wants some resonable advice. Not just some old "oh yeah, Campy is the way to go because we said so" kind of stuff. Actually WORTH 400 more??
    Give me a break. :wink::wink:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    dennisn wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    well i can get a
    Shimano Ultegra Sl groupset with whells for £500
    or
    Campag Chorus groupset with wheels for £900.

    is the campag groupset orth £400 more??

    YES!

    C'mon, guy sounds like he wants some resonable advice. Not just some old "oh yeah, Campy is the way to go because we said so" kind of stuff. Actually WORTH 400 more??
    Give me a break. :wink::wink:

    Dennis, you are American, so you should be trying to support the US economy and so you should be wholeheartedly suggesting SRAM.
    I like bikes...

    Twitter
    Flickr
  • to be honest i havent even looked at SRAM

    it hadnt even entered my mind
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dennisn wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    well i can get a
    Shimano Ultegra Sl groupset with whells for £500
    or
    Campag Chorus groupset with wheels for £900.

    is the campag groupset orth £400 more??

    YES!

    C'mon, guy sounds like he wants some resonable advice. Not just some old "oh yeah, Campy is the way to go because we said so" kind of stuff. Actually WORTH 400 more??
    Give me a break. :wink::wink:

    It's all overpriced, even SORA.

    In for a penny.......

    :o
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Evil Laugh wrote:
    Go and try some bikes with the different groupsets on.

    They all work, just in different ways. Most people on here would, I'm sure, just recommend what's on their latest bike.

    Campag have the thumb shifter, which I personally don't get on with. Shimano use a lever behind the brake lever for one shift and the whole break lever for the other so both are operated by your fingers, which I prefer. Sram use one lever with a double tap for one kind of shift as far as I'm aware but I've never used them.


    IMO Campag look better than Shimano but I'd never consider Campag due to the thumby shifter. I'm keen to see what Sram is like.

    That's just me, I'm sure others have different views so the best thing would be to try for yourself.

    I have Ultegra with a little bit of Dura Ace on my winter / training bike, I wouldn't recommend it over Centaur (Athena?) / SRAM Rival.

    I have SRAM Red on my BestBike(tm) and love the feel of the hoods and the shifting is much crisper than the Shimano. I know people who have Rival and rave about that. The Shimano is very smooth but feels sluggish in comparison.

    Which is your latest bike? :wink:

    Not having a dig at anyone, just trying to give some reasoned advice to him rather than saying get this or get that, it's easy enough to try a groupset out at LBS, I'd imagine the way they work is the most important part, then looks obviously.

    I'm keen to try the SRAM, looks a load better than my shimano bits and upgrading from 105 is gonna be expensive if I go shimano. Rival with Red shifters would be less than the new ultegra? Next year maybe. :roll:
  • what wheel freehub is required for SRAM?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shimano
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Used to ride Campy Super Record back in my teens and absolutely loved it. I don't have the bike anymore but I know the kit on it is STILL going 20 years later. Don't know about the modern stuff, but lots of people won;t touch anything else.

    Got Shimano Ultegra on my return to the sport 10 years back and loved that too! Ran it for 5 years with no problems before selling the bike.

    Got Dura Ace on my bike now, can't honestly say that I have noticed too much different over Ultegra, I've done a fair number of races this year and it hasn't let me down once. Covered over 3000 miles with it so far without so much as a fluffed gear change.

    Got Shimano 105 on my winter bike and that feels quite clunky. The levers are not the most comfortable and the gear change is not always clean like i found with Ultegra and Dura Ace

    Got SRAM X5/X7 on my mountain bike and it has been a real pain. Wheel suck on the chainset from new and gear changing is so hard it bruises my thumb on long rides. This experience has really tainted my view on SRAM, but to be fair I have never tried the road stuff so that could be brilliant.

    In my view the Shimano stuff is excellent at the higher end and is good value for money. I should point out though that I drive a Mondeo which gives a good indication on my mindset on these things. Functional and inexpensive. (takes a lot to part me with my cash) :D