SRAM Red group came with non-Red chain

AllTheGear
AllTheGear Posts: 248
edited September 2009 in Road buying advice
I ordered a Red groupset, sold by a reputable distributor. But, it came with a PC1090 chain. This is officially a non-group chain (according to the SRAM website), SRAM Red uses a PC1090R chain.

Now, I think this is a minor issue. In fact the silly cutouts in the R chain probably fill with dirt and cause corrosion, and the PC1090 is proabbly the same thing but less likely to snap. But, I bought a Red group and there was no mention in the description that the chain wasn't from the Red group, and the chain I got is worth £10-£15 less.

Is this normal? Should I kick up a fuss if the distributor tells me this was intentional? I'm just a little bit peeved that on a £900 sale they needed that £10 margin that bad...
... and no idea ...

FCN: 3

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    if you got full red for £900 then yes, they probably did need that £10 margin!

ask them? it could be a simple error in picking things off the shelf.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It's probably a better chain anyway.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    I wouldn't fret too much. The SRAM chains aren't much cop anyway. With the dosh you saved (rrp £1600 v £900) put some of this towards a KMC 10sp. The shifts are much, much smoother.

I had exactly this issue when I had my groupset delivered. My stuff was from a Scott Addict R1 that the shop stripped to sell off the bits separately. It too came with a PC1090.
    I would guess that would be OE equipment.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    gkerr4 wrote:
    if you got full red for £900 then yes, they probably did need that £10 margin!

+1 That's quite a deal you got there. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • I have a red group at the post office waiting for me to pick it up. Also £900 so I assume it was the same retailer, as I didn't see it that price anywhere else. Will check the contents carefully tomorrow.
  • redddraggon
    Which retailer is this?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I only emailed the retailer after hours, so no chance to reply yet.

I'll name them but this is NOT a name and shame! Merlin. They had a 10% discount thing last week, so the price is back to £1000 now, sorry!

It was an OEM set (no retail packaging and all items in bubblewrap but packed OK and no damage.), which is fair enough at that price.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/
    ... and no idea ...

• Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    What's OEM? :?
  • redddraggon
    Original Equipment Manufacturer
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Original Equipment Manufacturer - its the set that companies like SRAM sell to bike makers and assemblers - they save money by not getting any packaging.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Cheers. Today has become a school day, like every day should.
  • Presumably the distributor gets a bulk pack of 20 deraileurs etc. so has to wrap each bit up individually for sale. The kit is indended to go straight on a bike...
    ... and no idea ...

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    That is a SRAM Red chain. There is also a 1090R - which has slotted sides. Otherwise they are exactly the same. Both are top of the range chains. Oh - and it's 2 grams heavier than the 1090R. :roll:

In previous years they were both classed as SRAM Red equipment and basically cost the same price.
  • Yes I know only the slots are different, but according to SRAM the 1090 is non-series and the R is Red (but I'm looking at the 2010 website of course). I guess real riders kept snapping the R chains....

I want those 2 grams man!! ;-)
    ... and no idea ...

• Not sure if you've noticed but most pro teams that use SRAM still run Dura Ace chains
  • Merlin got back to me. They just supply what they get and hadn't noticed the chain. They have amended their website to show the chain type as 1090, and would have taken my groupset back if I had wanted. I have decided to keep it.

So, I'm happy, and a big thumbs up to Merlin.
    ... and no idea ...

• Same chain for me. Am quite happy with the deal, for that price there were always going to be small compromises - I actually need a band-on FD but they weren't able to swap them around. But hey, £900!! As chains/rear mech need replacing I'll use Shimano stuff anyway.
  • You can always get a braze-on adapter for 28 grams ;-)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=20255

Edit: Or the official one http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=27852
    ... and no idea ...

• Yes I'd probably go for the official one becase I'm being a complete tart on this build (and it's 5g lighter!!) :D

Actually heard the Red FD wasn't too good functionally, so had been toying with the idea of selling that one and getting a force band on.
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    force 2009 with steel cage better if you stomp on pedals / sprint. less flex. otherwise you wont notice
  • I have Rival and Red FD's now, not fitted the Red yet but it's identical to the Rival, with the exception of the cage which is titanium. I guess the issue is it can flex? If you're as big a tart as me you'll want all the bits to match though ;-)
    ... and no idea ...

• weeve wrote:
    force 2009 with steel cage better if you stomp on pedals / sprint. less flex. otherwise you wont notice

As the cage only touches the chain during a shift, you'd have to be stomping and front-shifting at the same time...
    ... and no idea ...