Bristol Bath Cycle Path

55-11
55-11 Posts: 3
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Hello all. I've not been on this forum since it was Cycling Plus, so forgiv me if this has already been covered...

We live in Bristol and my wife has started a new job in Bath, which she'd like to cycle to and from on the famous Bristol to Bath Cycle Path. A friend has said that they will not ride this during the winter months as it is considered too dangerous! Is there any truth in this?

Thanks, Tom

Comments

• 55-11 wrote:
    Hello all. I've not been on this forum since it was Cycling Plus, so forgiv me if this has already been covered...

We live in Bristol and my wife has started a new job in Bath, which she'd like to cycle to and from on the famous Bristol to Bath Cycle Path. A friend has said that they will not ride this during the winter months as it is considered too dangerous! Is there any truth in this?

Well it does pass through some of the dodgier parts of Bristol allegedly so might be a bit of a problem in the dark. (Perhaps one of our Bristol residents could comment as I could be completely wrong here and speaking entirely based on rumour).

A more realistic concern is if the path is gritted. If it is not then there will be quite a few ice patches on it from time to time in the Winter. Other than that with good lights it should be workable.

Mike
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think your message is likely to get some bad stories (including one I have) that may make it seem too dangerous. I think riding after dark is okay if you are doing it in the main commuter time (4.30-6.30?) when it is busy. There was a spate of assaults at the Bristol end a year or two ago (I ride Bath to Fishponds, or Bath to the ring road path so didn't cycle in the depths of Bristol where these things were happening). There are sometimes episodes of school kids putting objects on or across the path, particularly around the school near Oldland Common, things like tree branches and car tyres. I had a tin of gloss paint emptied on me from the bridge over the path at Oldland Common. It just missed me fortunately. There are sometimes mini or even full size motorbikes on the path. It sounds dreadful, doesn't it? But really, I reckon at commuting time it should be okay, there are a lot of other riders.

I ride using a Fenix L2D torch, it is bright enough to light the path well enough to ride at speed, I wouldn't use anything less on the path (just have to make sure you dip and dim the light when there are oncoming riders). It was sufficiently bright to confuse and disperse some kids who were linking arms across the path to block my way.

There - I told you the bad stuff, but I have probably done thousands of miles on the path without incident!
  • If you are going to Bath, it should be OK but in winter it can get a bit icy/snowy/slushy etc, so watch out. There were several muggings in the easton section of the path in 2008, but this was exceptional as the gang responsible got caught. You should exercise caution however, especially at night and use bright lights.

Generally speaking, the path carries thousands of people every year without incident.
    "Anything for a weird life"

Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Thanks for the replies. Left slightly worried by alfablue's comments although she will be commuting during main commuter hours. Ideally, I'd have her team up with someone else on the ride although finding someone riding in the same hours at the same pace may not be easy. And glad to hear that gang was caught.
  • I used the path to commute from Bath to EmersonsGreen for a couple of years - so I didnt encounter the supposedly dodgy Bristol end.
    Though I have heard similar stories to those told here, I have have never had any trouble on the path at all.
    Its fairly busy at commuter times, so I would imagine that if you wanted to ride with somone you would nt have to wait to long before someone would come along.
    The only problem I had was the Lumens arms race, where you are literally blinded by people comming the other way.
    Its a fantastic resource, we really are lucky to have it - so i would urge everyone to use it - its a great way to start and end the working day. I really miss it now that my commute takes in the hell that is the A4 Bath - Chippenham
  • alfablue
    55-11 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. Left slightly worried by alfablue's comments although she will be commuting during main commuter hours. Ideally, I'd have her team up with someone else on the ride although finding someone riding in the same hours at the same pace may not be easy. And glad to hear that gang was caught.
    Sorry to worry you - I really only had one actual incident (the paint one), the rest of the time it was the occasional dodging of obstructions - another reason for good lighting. On balance, its got to be a lot safer than narrow rush hour roads.

I agree about the "lumens war" - you really need to be vigilant to dim the light and point it downwards when there are oncoming riders (mine has 4 levels of brightness, easily toggled with a dab of the switch), but decent lighting is important for safety.
  • Watch out for glass as well.

We used the Bristol to Siston end for the start of a club run and had 2 punctures in about 20 mins.
  • alfablue wrote:
    I think your message is likely to get some bad stories (including one I have) that may make it seem too dangerous. I think riding after dark is okay if you are doing it in the main commuter time (4.30-6.30?) when it is busy. There was a spate of assaults at the Bristol end a year or two ago (I ride Bath to Fishponds, or Bath to the ring road path so didn't cycle in the depths of Bristol where these things were happening). There are sometimes episodes of school kids putting objects on or across the path, particularly around the school near Oldland Common, things like tree branches and car tyres. I had a tin of gloss paint emptied on me from the bridge over the path at Oldland Common. It just missed me fortunately. There are sometimes mini or even full size motorbikes on the path. It sounds dreadful, doesn't it? But really, I reckon at commuting time it should be okay, there are a lot of other riders.

I ride using a Fenix L2D torch, it is bright enough to light the path well enough to ride at speed, I wouldn't use anything less on the path (just have to make sure you dip and dim the light when there are oncoming riders). It was sufficiently bright to confuse and disperse some kids who were linking arms across the path to block my way.

There - I told you the bad stuff, but I have probably done thousands of miles on the path without incident!

I cycle the path too and in the last couple of weeks have realised that my bike lights are rubbish at lightlinh up the path. I am on the path at 6.30am going to Bath. Some of the lights coming into Bristol are ridiculously bright - at times I can't see where I am going at 20mph and it's a little worrying.

I find the areas with tree cover the hardest to navigate.

Hello alfablue, who recommended the Fenix L2D torch...
    I've since read some reviews and it does look a good torch.
    What exact version do you have please?
    Where did you buy from?
    What mode is good enough for the path? High or Turbo?
    I am on a racer so a little precarious one-handed, so do you find it easy enough to dim the light when you see other cyclists approaching and then get the light back to powerful?

Thanks for you help
  • alfablue
    I have the L2D CE Q5 premium, smooth reflector, still available but the newer model is the LD20 - slight differences, slightly dimmer high beam, slightly less run time I believe. The Photonshop is an excellent source for them.

You need decent NiMH batteries and a "smart" or "intelligent" charger - (Vapextech AA 2900mah batteries & LCD World Charger).

High mode is enough for most of the ride, very occasionally use turbo.

The low, medium, high and SOS modes are toggled by a gentle press (not a full click) on the tail cap, so from high 2 quick dabs gets it to low. Then two more gets it back to high. Turbo requires a twist of the head, so trickier.

I use a Twofish Lockblock mount (also on the Photonshop) and it is very quick and easy to point the torch down or to the left.
  • As people have already said it should be fine at commuter hours but long sections are dark and pretty intimidating - so maybe an air horn may be a good addition for your other half. One blast of that will certainly clear any 'pesky kids' off the path and will certainly alert any other commuters...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=20105
  • glastored
    glastored Posts: 9
    edited October 2009
    alfablue wrote:
    I have the L2D CE Q5 premium, smooth reflector, still available but the newer model is the LD20 - slight differences, slightly dimmer high beam, slightly less run time I believe. The Photonshop is an excellent source for them.

You need decent NiMH batteries and a "smart" or "intelligent" charger - (Vapextech AA 2900mah batteries & LCD World Charger).

The low, medium, high and SOS modes are toggled by a gentle press (not a full click) on the tail cap, so from high 2 quick dabs gets it to low. Then two more gets it back to high. Turbo requires a twist of the head, so trickier.

I use a Twofish Lockblock mount (also on the Photonshop) and it is very quick and easy to point the torch down or to the left.

cheers alfablue.

on the photonshop site the newer LD20 has a choice of reflectors (smooth for enhanced throw, orange peel for enhanced spill) where as the L2D only "Features orange peel reflector for a smooth beam." - so it seems slightly contradictory.
    Is an enhance throw best - or an enhanced spill.
    http://www.thephotonshop.co.uk/page23.htm
    http://www.thephotonshop.co.uk/page22.htm

also - the newer LD20 has 13 less lumens in high mode than the L2D... i wonder if that makes the L2D the better option even tho it comes with the orange peel reflector.

thanks
  • alfablue
    glastored wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

cheers alfablue.
    just to clarify - are you saying the newer LD20 is dimmer than the LD2 or the other way round? thanks

The L2D:

Two modes of output, selected by turning the bezel (patented) (soft press the tail switch to change levels in either mode) General mode 12 lumens (55 hrs) - 53 lumens (10.5 hrs) - 107 lumens (4 hrs) - SOS signalling
    Turbo mode 180 lumens (2.4 hrs) - strobe

The LD20:

2 modes with 6 types of output. General mode - 9 lumens (71 hours) - 47 lumens (13 hours) - 94 lumens (5 hours) - SOS signalling. Turbo mode - 180 lumens constant (2 hours) - strobe. All figures using 2500 mah Ni-mh batteries.

So if I am reading this correctly, the main difference is the high on the LD20 is dimmer but gets an extra hour run time.

Turbo is the same on both but worth shorter runtime on the LD20
  • The path will be very dark in the winter due to the overhanging trees. It can get very icy and I don't recall it ever being gritted.

As others have mentioned there are horror stories about what has happened on the path. My main concern would be with kids pulling branches across the path which you may not see until it's too late.

I don't travel that way on the path but instead I go the other way, but there are usually a fair number of commuters on the path both morning and night. However, that number does fall quite significantly over the winter.
  • Snudge
    Snudge Posts: 40
    I was amazed to see the cycle path was gritted in one of those spells of snow we had last winter. I cycle from the centre of Bristol to Ridgeway for work but outside of ther rush hours in the dark I am very wary of using the bit around Easton and the tree-laden bit above Clay bottom where it is very dark, lots of shrubbery and handy for all sorts of miscreant.
  • If you do get a power full head light for use on the Bristol to Bath cycle path, ensure that it is dipped as so not to dazzle other passing cyclists.
  • Nifer
    Nifer Posts: 102
    I'd quite like to hear an update on the path actually - it seems to have become a bit less scary these days and I hear it is quite well lit too.

Can anyone shed any more light? Looks like I might be commuting from the Centre to Emersons Green next year and I was trying to work out a route which avoided the Easton end of the path, but it would be good if I could just join it in the centre of Bristol.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    From my last trip up the path the path is lit virtually all the way from start iin town to Mangotsfield station, there are sections where the lights are widely spaced though.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee wrote:
    From my last trip up the path the path is lit virtually all the way from start iin town to Mangotsfield station, there are sections where the lights are widely spaced though.
    Yep. Its a lot better in the dark now they have lit it at the Bristol end. I'd use it when I come back from Bristol at night more if I could ever remember how to get to the start of it from the city centre. :lol: You still need a decent light if you want to use it to get all the way into Bath though.

Mike
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Last week the council were clearing the path of leaves, bless them.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Allot of the guys at my office use various parts of it - From Temple Meads to Warmley and from Saltford to Warmley - office is at Emersons Green.

The only comments I have heard are regarding buying more and more powerful lights!

Admittedly, it does pas through some fairly crap areas.....so, yes, a riding buddy would be a bonus!
  • Nifer
    Nifer Posts: 102
    Not only a bonus, but an unlikely luxury for me unfortunately!
  • Nifer wrote:
    Not only a bonus, but an unlikely luxury for me unfortunately!
    Depends on your confidence levels really. Last time I rode out of Bristol late at night I encountered one person on the lit section of the path who was walking their dog. Other than that it was pretty quiet. Mind you anyone attempting to get me would get hit with 200lbs of bike and rider at a speed of 20mph+ which is likely to hurt them more than me. ;)

Mike
  • Nifer wrote:

That is a bit nasty. Will be interesting to find out a little more about the circumstances.

Mike
  • Gneiss
    Gneiss Posts: 14
    I reckon the path is a great resource - I cycle once or twice a week from Chipping Sodbury into Bedminster and have done so for the last 9 months. I pick up the spur near Pucklechurch.

No real issues other than the occasional shouted comment from kids. The Bristol end is well lit and I often see plod on a bike or walking. The biggest issue seems to be cyclists and walkers not paying attention to what's going on around them.

You may want to consider buying a second hand police tabbard with the blue and silver reflective squares - difficult to tell whether it has an effect but it may register with car drivers and others out to cause mischief.
    Kinesis Crosslight 5T

Trek Fuel Ex08
  • Gneiss wrote:
    No real issues other than the occasional shouted comment from kids. The Bristol end is well lit and I often see plod on a bike or walking. The biggest issue seems to be cyclists and walkers not paying attention to what's going on around them.
    Won't stop me using the path like you the biggest hazards I've encountered are dozy peds and the occasional shouty youth. I just want to understand more about the circumstances mostly out of curiousity but also to know if ther is some action that I could take that would avoid me getting into the same situation. Biggest question was the person mugged a cyclist or a walker.

Mike