Off topic: - iPhone and Apple/commuting related

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Moderators, please don't move this. It is kinda commuting related:

Ok guys/gals two questions:

1).
I want an iPhone (seeing that I'm moving up in the Managerial/Executive World) what I'm wondering is if anyone knows if they are planning to or how one can about finding out if and when they're going to launch the new iPhone model. - I don't plan on getting an iPhone until X-mas.

Reason I'm asking is because:
The last time I bought an iPod about 2 months later Apple released a new version with no prior warning that a new model was going to be released. You never know when Apple will be launching a new model until at most a month before and that makes me reluctant to buy Apple.

2).
I like keeping my phone in the rear pocket of my cycling jersey on the commute. Should I get an iPhone what should I wrap around it (that is none bulky) that will make it not slip out?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/

There are loads of devoted forums as well, but anything like this will keep you informed.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Surely if you were moving up in the executive world, you would get a Blackberry?
    :D Much easier to write all those important exec emails on one of those.
  • 1) Good choice, they're great. Apple tend not to let anyone know what there plans are, so the best you'll get is rumour and speculation. That said, they just upgraded the iPod/iPhone lines, so it probably won't happen again soon.

2) I would guess that the uglier, silicone covers would be the least slippy. A mate of mine has a carbon fibre cover for his, which is very slippy, but might match in with some of your other stuff.
  • d21dga
    d21dga Posts: 113
    From late this year/early next year you'll be able to get the iPhone on both Orange and Vodafone in addition to O2 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8278073.stm.

Might be worth waiting until then as I imagine the pricing will become a bit more competetive?
  • this guide helps you time your apple purchases:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Buyer's_Guide_(time-ordered)
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Moderators, please don't move this. It is kinda commuting related:

Ok guys/gals two questions:

1).
    I want an iPhone (seeing that I'm moving up in the Managerial/Executive World) what I'm wondering is if anyone knows if they are planning to or how one can about finding out if and when they're going to launch the new iPhone model. - I don't plan on getting an iPhone until X-mas.

Reason I'm asking is because:
    The last time I bought an iPod about 2 months later Apple released a new version with no prior warning that a new model was going to be released. You never know when Apple will be launching a new model until at most a month before and that makes me reluctant to buy Apple.

2).
    I like keeping my phone in the rear pocket of my cycling jersey on the commute. Should I get an iPhone what should I wrap around it (that is none bulky) that will make it not slip out?

DDD,

I too like you wanted an iPhone, then looked at what I would use it for and came to the conclusion I don't need it.

1) Apple do release stuff without warning its not that bad, I have a Macbook Pro but the silver keys edition and it's the mutt's nuts. However after trying friends iPhones I went with a ......... T-Mobile HTC Hero (G2 Touch they call it). Far better operating system works easily with my MacBook and work's Lenovo laptop. Plus I am not one of those annoying people who go "Isn't the iPhone amazing" to everyone they meet. Which is important because a) It isn't, the operating system is bloated (think windows of the phone world now well done apple) , voice dialling is comical, and the only reason anyone who can give me for getting one was "It's cool" which leads me to b) It isn't cool because everyone has one which means it's just common. Don't be a sheep; lead. Also the Android operating system handles multiple email address simply, which everyone in the apple store couldn't demonstrate to me on the iPhone.

2) Any phone generally has a silicon skin available for it which is fairly grippy so getting out is easy but generally it doesn't have any problems with staying put. Having said that I take works blackberry out all the time and I don't give a crap about it but it refuses point blank to fall out.

Just my opinion though and the blackberry is ace at writing emails on though I need lots of emails for various things and the HTC Hero is better at that it also has a trackball, touch screen and a little bend in the case which I love as a design quirk, the bend also means you never rest the phone on it's screen which should help prevent it getting scratched.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I remember when Microwave ovens first came out. People got excited about those until they realised it was just white goods. Phones are the same......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD
    Rolf F wrote:
    I remember when Microwave ovens first came out. People got excited about those until they realised it was just white goods. Phones are the same......

You remember when Mircowave ovens first came out!? How old are you!?

Fair point guys about the HTC and Blackberry, I am fully aware that as a PDA there are arguably better phones out there. But I want an iPhone...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Well I love my iPhone, it works seamlessly with my exisiting macs, plays and holds a ridiculous amount of music, handles all my work/home email and work/home calendars, guides me to the location of client offices, and has 1000's of Apps, some great some pointless. The apps are the big winner for me, no other app store can compete at the moment. My missus has just got one and loves the fact that she can use the skype app to call her family in Turkey for free over wifi. It's also the most user friendly phone I've ever owned, and I've owned sammys, nokia, motorola and a few others. I have a MobileMe account as well and enjoy cloud synching - ie any changes i make on my computer at home, or at work, or on the phone updates all my devices. Add a contact to the phone and it's on the laptop etc etc. Fab. I'm aware there are other things that offer this functionality but I've never been able to get 'em to work properly! I've played with a few other smart phones but IMHO the Apple knocks them into touch. It's not perfect but it is the best all round smartphone on the market and Apple stuff does tend to work rather damn well most of the time.

As for the "Apple release things without warning" comment. The iPhone refresh cycle is basically every July, it's not hard to work out when they have things planned and the commentators are usually right.

Hold off until Orange & Voda get the phone though, their 3G network is better than o2 and rumour has it they will soon be sharing networks. Or better still hold off till July 2010 when the next iPhone will be out.
  • DonDaddyD
    Thanks IlPrincipe,

I'm probably gonna hold off until the Orange and Voda merge, that seems more likely now that BOTH have annouced securing iPhones (though equally less likely as they both can compete seperately with O2).

May wait until July 2010 though it is so far away...
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    Thanks IlPrincipe,

I'm probably gonna hold off until the Orange and Voda merge, that seems more likely now that BOTH have annouced securing iPhones (though equally less likely as they both can compete seperately with O2).

I'm hoping that other Voda or Orange understand the iPhone market better as well - eg offering 12month contracts etc. In my eyes O2 have cocked things up very badly in this respect.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Thanks IlPrincipe,

I'm hoping that other Voda or Orange understand the iPhone market better as well - eg offering 12month contracts etc. In my eyes O2 have cocked things up very badly in this respect.

This is the thing about Apples 1yr new product policy and today's mobile phone market (it doesn't fit)

Back in the day one2one (now T-mobile) used to throw phones and money off deals every 12months. My Father and I used to compete with each other to see who could get the best deal, half line rental for the next 12months (the contract would already include at list 750anytime mins and unlimited free text messages) and a free upgrade to the best they had on offer was the standard.

Then phones got good and network providers caught on to the fact that my Nokia didn't need upgrading so they bought in 18month contracts to fall inline with the actual generational lifecycle of mobile phones, it also stops customers moving from provider to provider easily.

I don't mind an 18month contract providing my phone works for that time but if I get an iPhone and 12months in they release a better one, I'm going to want that one. (Incidentally Nokia also provide a lengthy warranty, my dad sent his back after some heavy through it on the floor fit of rage abuse and basically got a new N95 sent back for free)
    Food Chain number = 4

• It's the networks that need to change, the UK model is crazy. I don't want my phone subsidised. I'd rather purchase the phone and the contract separately rather than having them tied together in such a strange and financially impenetrable fashion.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't mind an 18month contract providing my phone works for that time but if I get an iPhone and 12months in they release a better one, I'm going to want that one.

I don't have a problem with 18 month contracts either, although I'd prefer a 12 month one! I can see why they do it for business reasons and if it makes things cheaper (on a monthly basis at least) then I'm okay with that.

I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for people who are gagging for every new toy as soon as it's out - calm down already, they don't owe you an upgrade just because it exists! If you have to wait another 12 months for it, then a) it may be even better by then and b) try and enjoy the anticipation (which is exactly what I've been doing - 5 months till I can get an iphone, which works pretty well with the impending de-exclusivising).
  • By the way DDD, I actually have a 3GS iPhone myself, it's just that there are some really annoying things about it (these are just my experiences).

1: When you try using it as a 'phone' it has an annoying habit of disconnecting when my face makes accidentally touches the screen...maybe I just have fat cheeks?

2: The on screen keyboard is fine if you have hands of a similar size to Hobbits. Otherwise, pressing the wrong key is annoyingly frequent.

3: There doesn't seem to be a way to selectively turn off some notifications. Like the one that keeps popping up when you lose network connectivity. Once is enough, but when you are on a train journey that goes through tunnels, you can end up with about 20 of these notifications, each one has to be dismissed.

4: The standard headset that comes with the iPhone doesn't seem very robust, mine stopped working after 4 months.

On the plus side, as others have already said, the GPS map feature is fantastic . I used it in Vietnam of all places to find my way around Hanoi's streets.
    I have also moved all my music to the iPhone, and with wireless access youtube and other video streaming works really well.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    I've always used a plastic freezer bag to put my phone in a jersey pocket, even before I had an iPhone.

It's the only way to be sure it's going to stay dry, not just from rain but sweat too.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    One thing I need to know before I get an iphone is how to avoid accidentally paying exorbitant sums for data services I don't want or need (or do want, but which cost the earth). Can someone give me a rough breakdown of typical charges for typical services?
  • biondino wrote:
    One thing I need to know before I get an iphone is how to avoid accidentally paying exorbitant sums for data services I don't want or need (or do want, but which cost the earth). Can someone give me a rough breakdown of typical charges for typical services?

There are no data charges in the UK whatsover on any tariff, it's free and unlimited. Use data abroad however, and O2 will take all the money you own.
  • Thats where the Wi-Fi capability of the iPhone becomes very handy. Just find a cafe with free Wi-Fi and surf away.
  • artaxerxes wrote:
    Thats where the Wi-Fi capability of the iPhone becomes very handy. Just find a cafe with free Wi-Fi and surf away.

Yep! And keep data roaming off all the time, unless you really really need it. I was delighted to find on holiday recently that the pol area had free WiFi... :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You remember when Mircowave ovens first came out!? How old are you!...

42 - it comes sooner than you think :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • R_T_A
    biondino wrote:

Essentially, if you casually browse web pages and the like, you'll have low data services. If you do it a lot, or use services like Email/Spotify then it's worth making sure part of your tariff includes high or unlimited data usage.

You may also buy an add on (like "unlimited data") then you won't get stung. They can be a fiver a month on top, but at least you can budget for it.

There are new EU regulations coming out in March that will prevent "bill shock" for data roaming on a handset or dongle. You'll receive alerts that you're about to hit your limit, and will stop you using the data unless you extend your amount.

Can you guess what industry I'm working in ATM? :wink:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You remember when Mircowave ovens first came out!? How old are you!...

42 - it comes sooner than you think :lol:

Don't worry, I'm 36 and I remember when videos came out. I remember a friend had one of those top loading ones with a remote control with a physical wire connecting it to the video! I suppose it meant that you could never lose the remote down the back of the sofa as the wire led you straight to it!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • R_T_A wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Essentially, if you casually browse web pages and the like, you'll have low data services. If you do it a lot, or use services like Email/Spotify then it's worth making sure part of your tariff includes high or unlimited data usage.

You may also buy an add on (like "unlimited data") then you won't get stung. They can be a fiver a month on top, but at least you can budget for it.

No need in the UK - O2's iPhone tariffs all include limitless data for the UK.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Thanks IlPrincipe,

It's not Orange and Vodafone, it's Orange and T Mobile that want to merge. I'd be surprised if the manage to sneak that one through the EU competition bods though. I'm very happy that Orange will start providing I-Phones though, there was no way that I was going to scrap my current deal with Orange that I have negotiated hard over the past few years for (I'm now an Orange Premiere customer with many hundred free minutes to any network at any time, completely free texts and free handset insurance as well as low fixed charge) simply to get myself on an overpriced O2 package. I think Orange were desperate to keep customers when the I-Phone came out as many must have defected to O2 and they were throwing everything they could at their customers...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I'm not talking about networks merging, I'm talking about Voda and Orange sharing network infrastructure.

More here
  • I'm not talking about networks merging, I'm talking about Voda and Orange sharing network infrastructure.

Makes sense I suppose, but bad news for network hardware makers like Ericsson or Siemens. Voda and Orange will probably migrate to single suppliers of things like HLRs and MSCs. Would be a good opportunity for the Chinese (Huawei) to get in there to provide all the kit.

Anyway, enough of this telecoms geekspeak...
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    artaxerxes wrote:
    Thats where the Wi-Fi capability of the iPhone becomes very handy. Just find a cafe with free Wi-Fi and surf away.
    Ditto for the HTC Hero (T-Mobile G2 Touch) and not sure on my blackberry but who cares as work are paying.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • R_T_A
    I'm not talking about networks merging, I'm talking about Voda and Orange sharing network infrastructure.

More here

I'm not sure that's going ahead. The talks started in 2007 and the last information I can see on that was January this year. T-Mobile and 3 already have a network share doing the same thing (MBNL), and Orange may look at joining that. As far as I'm aware it's the only network share of its kind.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    R_T_A wrote:
    I'm not talking about networks merging, I'm talking about Voda and Orange sharing network infrastructure.

More here

I'm not sure that's going ahead. The talks started in 2007 and the last information I can see on that was January this year. T-Mobile and 3 already have a network share doing the same thing (MBNL), and Orange may look at joining that. As far as I'm aware it's the only network share of its kind.

VF are doing a network share with O2.