Turbo trainer or Spinning Bike

swinleylocal
swinleylocal Posts: 4
edited September 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Were do i start? This is my second year on mountain bikes and just started entering races this year and rode the Gorrick races and enduro at Swinley Forest. Didn’t do great, but didn’t do rubbish either. i have a dilemma with training. i need to get fitter, faster and stronger if i am going to improve my times. winter is approaching and daylight fading. so here is the question... do i invest in a turbo trainer or a spinning bike? what are the advantages etc. there is also the thought, do i invest in a few hundred quid in top notch lights? the answer to that is, i think i would spend the money on the trainer bike at the moment, because i can get on it anytime. i know some of you will moan at the thought of not going out in the dark, i just think to reduce my running costs on the wear and tear of running my bike through the winter will out way the cost of a trainer bike.

so any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers

Comments

• I would go with the turbo option, spinning machines are never the same geometry as anything with two wheels. Get a hack bike if you don't fancy sweat and tears all over your pride and joy. Otherwise a trainer tyre on the bike and you are away. There are plenty of training programmes out there as you do need some sort of plan to reach your goals.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • I'm having the same dilemma.

Got bored of changing the tyre everytime I put the winter bike on the trainer so thought about either getting a cheap fixie to be permanently based on the trainer, or getting a spin bike like this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LeMond-spin-bike_ ... _500wt_963

Looks adjustable enough to me, although there are others with loads of adjustment to match your riding position.

Seems more sensible and cheaper than a turbo/ bike setup ?
  • the more people i talk with, the more they lean for the Turbo. it would work for me really because i have two mountain bikes and therefore could use the older one with a slick tyre. not sure that the spinning bike would be the cheaper option, the cheapest ones i have seen at £230+. a cheap Tacx starts at £130.

still unsure. hayho