disc rotor compatibility

Bible Basher Biker
Bible Basher Biker Posts: 811
edited September 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,
it's been a few years since I was on here, but always a good place for a quick query.
Are shimano RT 75 XT disc rotors (like this :
http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/15 ... rotor.html
compatible with normal Deore level M535 brakes?
They are both 6 bolt and 160mm.
thanks!
I plan to live forever ... so far, so good

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ok.
    so why would the bike shop remove the better quality (RT75) rotors that I had on the bike and put on cheaper heavier RT60 when they put the new M535 brakes on?!?

I know they weren't warped or anything cos they were basically brand new...?
  • Sloper
    Sloper Posts: 141
    I presume they told you they were incompatible.. or did they not give you a reason for the change? :?
  • they didn't say anything - i just got the bike home and realised they were different. I picked the bike up right at the end of the day so didn't have time to take it back & ask.
    I guess theat's a job for tomorrow then......
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    maybe they were returning the bike to the correct spec?

what was the bike speced with?

did they change the discs or the wheels?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bike was spec'd with Giant own-brand hydraulic discs.
    Didn't change wheels, just new brakes & rotors, but the same shop fitted the up-graded rotors so i dont know why they would then have removed them.
    The only thing I can think is that they when they ordered the brakes they got the whole pack with rotors included and when someone told the mechanic to replace the brakes he just did the whole shebang without asking any questions.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The only thing I can think is that they when they ordered the brakes they got the whole pack with rotors included and when someone told the mechanic to replace the brakes he just did the whole shebang without asking any questions.
    Sounds quite likely, a polite word with the shop should sort it out.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • On a more general disk compatibility note. Assuming brake disks are flat and they have the same fitting, can I fit any disk to work with my Avid BB7 callipers.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • On a more general disk compatibility note. Assuming brake disks are flat and they have the same fitting, can I fit any disk to work with my Avid BB7 callipers.

basically yes...most of the time. On the subject of being flat though, hope (and I guess other floating design) rotors have fixings that foul the installation tabs on Avid Brakepads (juicy and I think BB7 are the same) but you can trim these tabs back (of course making it fiddlier to change pads). I have heard folks claim they can run that combo unmodified but I've not seen it done myself
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Thanks folks - sorted now. It was as I suspected - small breakdown in communication.

Groover - you need to check the diameter - diff brakes have diff default sizes for their rotors - eg Shimano standard size is 160mm you can usually get adapters that allow you to use different sizes