Which Touring Bike From Evans????

petenats
petenats Posts: 26
edited October 2009 in Tour & expedition
My girlfriend is looking for a touring bike to be used for commuting and touring both in the UK and further affield...although nothing so distant that 26" wheels would the the necessity, well at least not yet!

She has access to the Cycle to Work scheme but apparently is limited to using Evans, however we are prepared to add to the £1000 voucher budget slightly if necessary.

We had looked at the Dawes Galaxy and for spec and price it seemed pretty much ideal. Unfortunately she is a slightly vertically challenged (5'3") and the smallest frame size in the Galaxy (and it's derivatives) is 54cm.

Does anyone one have any suggestions/recommendations as to what would be the best use of the available funds?

Comments

• See if they will get you a Tifosi CK7, my colleagues wife is small as well and the XS suits her fine.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • I had a little chat with Evans on the phone and it seems they can access other bikes outwith the ones they stock as long as they are from the same manufacturers.

Kind of limits the options but there must be something appropriate!
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    Some of the cyclo-cross bikes would make good tourers and seem to have smaller sizes (although the seat tube measurement is not necessarily the most important - top tube length might be more relevant), just check what rack mounting points they have and depends if you are likely to want to use front panniers, most seem to have carbon forks which mostly are not suitable for front racks.
  • After a chat with the guys/gals at Evans and asking why there is such a poor choice of bikes.

I was told that after the bike show mid October the 2010 ranges will be out and Evans will be showing them in stock...time will tell and hopefully the choices will improve!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Surley do their smaller sized LHT tourer in 26" MTB wheels size, a much more sensible choice for small riders. You can fit narow slicks for speed , fatter ones for trails.
    Most small 700c tourers seem to be excessively long for the rider.