Orange Crush

trouty65
trouty65 Posts: 65
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Hi all i know this may seem very confusing but YES i have finally purchased a bike (2009 Orange Crush) for my son after much relief :D The indecision was literally draining the life out of me ...... !!! :(

Now !!

Apparently the bike only has 18 gears and comes with a double not triple front chainset ?

How easy and how much money would this cost to upgrade to a triple in the future ?

and is that really neccessary on a bike like this ?

We mainly ride the Northdowns ie: Leith / Holmbury / Pitch ..

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pretty easy.

Best bet is to ride it and see how you get on.
  • a bike like that in my opinion should only need 9 gears
  • supersonic
    Depends where you ride it! I'd need a triple to haul it around Wharny!
  • OH He'll be riding it ALRIGHT !!!

He'll be getting in the best shape of his life cos he'll be doing some right ole' KILLER loops on it !!!! :D

"PAYBACK" !!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

if i hear one more whinge when we are out climbing :D !!! IM SELLING IT :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    watch he dont wip Dad on the climbs :D
  • "Bring it on John" :D

No actually if he moans i wont sell it .. i'll keep it and i'll have it !! :D

Repeat after me ... Must keep the wipper snappers at bay for as long as possible .. must keep the wipper :D
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    a bike like that in my opinion should only need 9 gears

clearly not it seems - as the 2010 is back to a triple chainring
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    That was a strange decision to only have 2 chainrings.

The big is designed as a hard hitting hardtail trail bike. Triple chainring is correct........ IMHO of course
    Craig Rogers
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Built a Crush yesterday at work..... lovely looking bike and a Fox Float fork at £1100 is a great bit of speccing IMO
  • supersonic
    Oranges seem to be getting better value - but I'd rather take the new Recon Maxle and have better rims.

Seems very odd that a bike that is meant to be thrashed has a QR fork and a mavics cheapest, uneyeletted XC rim.
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    I think they've tamed the Crush down a bit now that they have the MIII for proper nutter hardtail duties...

Mental value you though, my mate was looking at getting a long travel HT frame and a set of Floats, for a few quid more, I said buy a Crush!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    x-isle wrote:

The bike is designed as a hard hitting hardtail trail bike.

For which a double chainring increases ground clearance, and actually does away with most of the redundant gear ratios. No need for a triple on a bike like this. If you want a cross-country race bike, get one.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    supersonic wrote:
    Oranges seem to be getting better value.

One 5 for Mr. Sonic!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • supersonic
    Depends what gear ratios you like - I like a very wide range, but I agree on clearance.

36/22 seems a decent compromise.
  • x-isle
    dave_hill wrote:
    x-isle wrote:

The bike is designed as a hard hitting hardtail trail bike.

For which a double chainring increases ground clearance, and actually does away with most of the redundant gear ratios. No need for a triple on a bike like this. If you want a cross-country race bike, get one.

It's still just a trail bike. I suppose you could say, if you want a hard hitting bike, get a full sus!?!?
    Craig Rogers
  • u mean a decnt full us not a shitty apollo

yes istrue full sussers rule, but only if theyre not apollo's
  • x-isle
    ha ha, true.

Just to prove your point, this is abandoned on Pins and Needles on the Tarw at Coed y Brenin....

pbpic4038884.jpg
    Craig Rogers
  • I've had my '09 Crush for about 6 months now. There aren't that many occasions where I wish I had a bigger chainring, and they've all been fast open bridleway descents which the bike isn't meant for. I haven't noticed the extra ground clearance but maybe that's the point, you only notice a massive chainring when you whack it on something!
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I run a double and bash on all my mountain bikes. The very first time you fall off a skinny and the bike slides along on the bash instead of having the big ring dig in and flip you over the bars it is worth it. Also not missed a ratio yet.

Double and bash is fine, better in fact.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur