Good shop for hub / freewheel repair?

Houllier
Houllier Posts: 1,253
edited September 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there

I managed to damage my rear hub somehow when crashing - slight wheel wobble, lateral play in rear wheel that looks as if it is between hub and cassette / freewheel ; when running fast downhill there are some clanking / clunking noises from the rear hub or freewheel.

God knows how, i wasn't going that fast when I crashed and i took most of the impact.

I've taken the cassette off, the freewheel turns fine and there is no obvious movement, the cassette also looked sound. QR lever looked fine and slides into the axle cleanly.

Any ideas folks? Hub and freewheel service is a little beyond my time, tools and knowhow.

I'm guessing that I'll have to get a pro to look at it, only prob I'm based in Winchester and lost faith in the abilities of my LBS (Hargroves) to fix anything a while ago.

Work in London, so am looking for recommendations of good places in Hampshire or London to take it to - the sort of place where they may actually try and repair it rather than just trying to flog me a new wheel.

Thanks

GH
---\*/
----?
----/>\'
--(+)(+)
You\'ll never ride alone

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    more likely to need the rim re-truing.

I would just take the whole wheel to another LBS for a check over.

Or read parktools on how to strip and service hubs and check it out yourself after making sure it is not the rim.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Houllier
    Houllier Posts: 1,253
    100% not the rim... if I hold the rim and move it left and right then there's clear play there.

Shimano hub - not sure what model - decals have rubbed off.

Any ideas on shops?

Thanks all
    ---\*/
    ----?
    ----/>\'
    --(+)(+)
    You\'ll never ride alone
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any. tis an easy job to tighten the cones.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown