bellahouston park velodrome glasgow

lmk1
lmk1 Posts: 95
edited June 2010 in Track
has anyone used this outdoor track, what condition is it in and is it well used???

Comments

• nomadicbry
    nomadicbry Posts: 223
    Posted ages ago but thought I'd reply.
    My son trains on this track weekly as do a number of other Glasgow clubs however the track is pretty rubbish

The banking is almost non exoistant, it's measured in mm rather than meters and the council in their wisdom put kerbstones around the inside making it ineligible for any kind of competitive racing as it's just plain dangerous.

It appears the council ignored the advice and comments of the cycling clubs in Glasgow and tried to make the track all things to all men and satisfied no one, especially the cycling community

If you are really building up speed you may have to back off on the bends as the bank isn't high enough to allow full speed.

You will also have to warn the roller skaters, people on normal (non track) bikes and joggers that you have no brakes and so will be unable to stop if they suddenly move onto your line.

In saying all that though it's worth a wee look and is useful for training I guess and while you go round, just start thinking that in 2012 we'll have a world class velodrome which will possibly be the best in the UK as long as the city council don't ruin it by ignoring the designer and let the parks department build it

The surface is tarmac and is in good condition...ie no pot holes...yet
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    I'm sure some of the hipsters on GlasgowFGSS mess around on it sometimes.

I've never been on it, and as said, the banking is non-existent. If I wasn't told it was supposed to be a velodrome I would have thought it was a running track.