Cuddles doing Lombardy again

2»

Comments

• Yep my error. I guess my subconsciouness was telling me I wish it was Rebellin : )
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface wrote:

Why WERE you banned?

Not sure but fixed now, i think during the Dauphine alot of people started to turn around. Evans has always mantained that he attacks when he can, but he was putting in attack after attack on those stages, it has to be a mental thing with him his finally got it into his head he can give it a go. The only thing i was worried about was that up until the worlds he hadnt alot to show for it. Hopefully he goes into next year with a real attacking mentality.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • I've nought but respect for anyone who can attack downhill like Cunego did last year, that was edge of the seat stuff.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,125
    The descent of the Civiglio, where Cunego attacked, is fearsome. Rotten surface, sharp off camber bends and plenty of stone walls to bounce off of. It's almost more decisive than the final climb.
  • sudholz
    sudholz Posts: 69
    andyp wrote:
    The descent of the Civiglio, where Cunego attacked, is fearsome. Rotten surface, sharp off camber bends and plenty of stone walls to bounce off of. It's almost more decisive than the final climb.
    +1 It's x-rated!

Did it on the GdL GranFondo last year. They had mattresses up against the walls on the switchbacks. Best fun I've ever had on a bike.

Never mind World Chump Caddles - I'd love to see Cunego win it again.

S

P.S. I actually like Cadel really and liked him even before he was Champ.
    Well. Certaintly...
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Much of the route is superb. Personally I liked the climbs but the entire section from Como up the lake to Bellagio and then over the Ghisallo, back down the other side and then the final climbing is great. My only wish is that they'd fix the route to ensure each spot gains a legendary status.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I'd love them to bring back the Valico di Valcava, a climb they used in the 80s, long, steep with 18 % sections. And yes, pick a route and stick to it.
  • I just wish coverage on TV would start early enough for once to actually see the race pass through pretty Bellgio and up the climb to the chapel.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    I just wish coverage on TV would start early enough for once to actually see the race pass through pretty Bellgio and up the climb to the chapel.

Prepare to be dissapointed then according to ES schedules British Eurosport are starting delayed coverage at 16.30 on Sat 17th but its being preceeded by live WTA Tennis so the possibilty is that if will start a bit later. Cant find ES HD times so maybe it will be live on there.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,125
    It'll have to be an afternoon chasing streams on www.cyclingfans.com then. Unfortunately the race only gets short coverage on RAI, normally the final hour, which means you miss most, if not all, of the Ghisallo.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The Ghisallo is a nice climb but nothing dramatic to watch. The narrow road on the lake's shore to Bellagio is stunning. These are more roads to ride for yourself than to watch a pro race. Some high definition photos capture the scene much better than the TV cameras.
  • I've ridden them myself -- a nice week of riding round shorelines, or ferried shortcuts, from Lugano to Garda -- but the only pro race footage I've seen going up to Ghisallo was the year after, brief edited highlights of one of the final stages of the Giro Donne, where I think the finish was.
  • Saw the last couple of posts, so I thought I'd check British Eurosport schedules.
    NO live coverage of EITHER Paris-Tours, or Lombardy.
    P-T 1 hr of "highlights" on MONDAY.
    Reason? Er...."live" Cricket.

Lombardy: Delayed for girlie tennis to 4-30pm or whenever, then 90 (which means 60, if lucky) minutes.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Saw the last couple of posts, so I thought I'd check British Eurosport schedules.
    NO live coverage of EITHER Paris-Tours, or Lombardy.
    P-T 1 hr of "highlights" on MONDAY.
    Reason? Er...."live" Cricket.

Lombardy: Delayed for girlie tennis to 4-30pm or whenever, then 90 (which means 60, if lucky) minutes.

boo.

how times change though, 3 or 4 years ago I'd have apoplectic at the thought of cycling being shown instead of cricket
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

I agree, he uses that race well as a training event. His attack on Sunday was the second time I've seen him stick it to the field on the final climb -- the first time was in a mountain stage of C&B in 2008, where he tore a chunk of time out of Garzelli. Used to be a vid on YouTube but it's gone now I think.

This is what you're talking about

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/se ... tica-di-co

Cracking ride
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Yes! That's it.

The photos after the finish were amusing: the look of disbelief on Garzelli's face -- he's not only lost the race lead, but lost it to an attacking Evans -- and similarly the expression on Evans' face, like he can't beieve it himself.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=/photos/2008/mar08/coppibartali08/coppibartali083/bettiniphoto_0025227_1_full

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=/photos/2008/mar08/coppibartali08/coppibartali083/bettiniphoto_0025226_1_full