Poor showing by the USA at the Worlds

2»

Comments

• Blimey. I am not saying he could have won it am I (although it is not an impossibility). All I am saying is that Millar was rubbish and Downing could have at least put in a good showing for GB, however fleeting.

Also it is worth pointing out that KOLOBNEV who came SECOND in the Worlds came FIFTH in Stage 3 of ToI BEHIND DOWNING which included a sharp hill.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    I beat Chris Boardman once, but that didn't make me think I should go for the hour record. :wink:
  • That's alright, 'cos I set the Hour Record, but I've never worn the maillot jaune
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Russ is a great rider - but I dont think this distance suits him. I know he was the only GB to finish last year - but did he actually do anything in the race ?

If it was half the distance then he would have a much better chance - but it wasnt.

Millar crashed - he wasnt rubbish. Downing sensibly got Millar back up to the bunch - and blew himself. Seems to suggest that Downing wasnt going to have the strength to figure prominently later on in the race anyway.

I'm not slagging Russ off - great rider - but these are the elites of the World - and he's not one. As of yet anyway. (hopefully he's been taking longevity tips off the 48 year old Elliott)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Russ is a great rider - but I dont think this distance suits him. I know he was the only GB to finish last year - but did he actually do anything in the race ?

If it was half the distance then he would have a much better chance - but it wasnt.

Millar crashed - he wasnt rubbish. Downing sensibly got Millar back up to the bunch - and blew himself. Seems to suggest that Downing wasnt going to have the strength to figure prominently later on in the race anyway.

I'm not slagging Russ off - great rider - but these are the elites of the World - and he's not one. As of yet anyway. (hopefully he's been taking longevity tips off the 48 year old Elliott)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    What cougie said.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Blimey. I am not saying he could have won it am I (although it is not an impossibility). All I am saying is that Millar was rubbish and Downing could have at least put in a good showing for GB, however fleeting.

Also it is worth pointing out that KOLOBNEV who came SECOND in the Worlds came FIFTH in Stage 3 of ToI BEHIND DOWNING which included a sharp hill.

The only way Downing could win the Worlds would be due to a Foinavon moment, i dont get your logic regarding Kolobnev finishing behind Downing in stage of a low category race used as a warm up for the Russian.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Do you know how may GB riders finished in the Worlds last year? One. Guess who it was. Clue: it wasn't Millar, it wasn't Stannard, it wasn't Geraint, it wasn't Froome and it wasn't Cummings.

I find it very bizzare how nearly all the members are trying to put a GB rider down so hard. I think it is more because I made the point and you go into 'diasgree with FF' mode.

Lightweight.

Its not bizzare its just members who have a clue about professional cycling.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !