can of worms *pops off lid*

Comments

• spds are fun, but it does kill my bunnyhopping.

Ironically I learnt to bunnyhop properly (ie front then back) clipped in on my road bike, and i've only recently transfered it to really fluid bunnyhops on my mtbs with flats. But i get much higher with flats.
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    If SPD, I suggest you get multi-release cleats (silver as opposed to black).

The first time practice clipping in and out while standing still (and holding something!)

Then do a an easy ride, on road even, and every spare moment practice clipping in and out while on the move. Practice with both feet.

After half an hour it'll feel natural, and then you'll (probably!) have no problems.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    higher with flats? im not bad at BH's, but if its harder with Spd's i can see myself geting a fair few pinch punctures!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    RedJohn wrote:
    If SPD, I suggest you get multi-release cleats (silver as opposed to black).

The first time practice clipping in and out while standing still (and holding something!)

Then do a an easy ride, on road even, and every spare moment practice clipping in and out while on the move. Practice with both feet.

After half an hour it'll feel natural, and then you'll (probably!) have no problems.
    thanks jhon, ill try that. whats the dif between black and silver?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • About £20 I think.

I have a pair of multi release pedals I don't use. One of the adjusters on one side is broken but they pedal itself is fine and you can adjust the otherside of the pedal instead.

If you want them you're welcome to them, they have been ridden once on a race bike.
  • joshtp
    how much you want for them?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Yeah, but if you can bunnyhop with flats then doing it in spds wont be an issue.

Every mountainbiker should have a pair of each, one will usually sit in the cupboard!

I have flats on three of my bikes, and i have two spare sets of cb pedals in drawers, putting clipless on my jump bike would be daft 8)
  • how much you want for them?

Not worth selling really. They're yours. Need to get them back off a mate first though. PM me your address and I'll post them at the weekend, providing my mate can find them :)
  • joshtp
    thanks bud!
    ill send you my address
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why not dual purpose (SPD one side, flat on the other, or similar mechanism that lets you ride either style)?

I'm in the same quandary. I don't really want to be locked in for most stuff but SPDs would be handy for climbs.
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    Black SPD cleats are unidirectional release, they require a specific swivel of the heel outwards to release.

Silver are multidirectional, a twist or pull in practically any direction, even straight up if the pedals aren't tightened up much, will release them.

These are the cleats that screw into your shoes; the pedal is the same.
  • joshtp
    RedJohn wrote:
    Black SPD cleats are unidirectional release, they require a specific swivel of the heel outwards to release.

Silver are multidirectional, a twist or pull in practically any direction, even straight up if the pedals aren't tightened up much, will release them.

These are the cleats that screw into your shoes; the pedal is the same.
    thanks for the explanation bud!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    deadkenny wrote:
    Why not dual purpose (SPD one side, flat on the other, or similar mechanism that lets you ride either style)?

I'm in the same quandary. I don't really want to be locked in for most stuff but SPDs would be handy for climbs.
    becouse both types are compromised, the spd is not always there,to get to it you need to flip the pedal up, and the falt is also compromised, it has very little grip.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    edited September 2009
    becouse both types are compromised, the spd is not always there,to get to it you need to flip the pedal up, and the falt is also compromised, it has very little grip.
    There are pop-up designs which are dual sided SPD but can flatten to make a flat, e.g. Shimano M545 or DX M647.

Not that I'm saying they're any good as I've never tried SPDs anyway, but they seem like an ideal solution for me.
  • Anonymous
    I was told by my physio today that I should not ride in SPDs. (I haven't for several years anyway)

Nuff said.
  • joshtp
    well if its ruining your knees, fair nough, but my knees are full of health and vitality (and blood) so im gonna give it a go, i may as well, seen as i have some peds now! (courtsey of a very kind cgarossi!)
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Not had any problems with my knee's using SPDs. Playing football? Now thats different.

I can't see how SPDs would adversely affect your knees? Surely a better foot position would help them?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    cgarossi wrote:
    Not had any problems with my knee's using SPDs. Playing football? Now thats different.

I can't see how SPDs would adversely affect your knees? Surely a better foot position would help them?
    Some people just struggle if the pedal in exactly the same position all the time, regardless of how well they are setup. With flats, your foot is never in the same spot or at the same angle twice.

I agree that footy is bad on the knees - my 37yr old knees are still clinging on though...just.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Hmm, if theres enough float in the pedal then it shouldnt be a problem. I did find that Shimano SPDs tend to anchor your foot too well (including any latteral movement) but Crank Bros seem to allow your foot to float a lot more, making it more comfortable.
  • Anonymous
    Never played football. But it appears that after several years of abuse and damage, my right knee points outwards markedly compared to the left. So much so, that being normally clipped in could cause issues.

of course this is quite apart from the fact that SPDs are a solution to a problem that never existed.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    cgarossi wrote:
    I did find that Shimano SPDs tend to anchor your foot too well
    Think the shoes you use have a lot to do with it as well. XC race shoes may be good for pedalling efficiency but a more relaxed SPD shoe can allow your feet a little movement on the pedal even with the tension cranked right up.
  • deadkenny wrote:
    There are pop-up designs which are dual sided SPD but can flatten to make a flat, e.g. Shimano M545 or DX M647.

Not that I'm saying they're any good as I've never tried SPDs anyway, but they seem like an ideal solution for me.

I have DX M647's and although they say 'pop up', the cage always present. You can't comfortably ride these with flats.
  • Anonymous
    Soul Boy wrote:
    I have DX M647's and although they say 'pop up', the cage always present. You can't comfortably ride these with flats.
    What are they like for riding 'flat' with cleats though? i.e. just not clipped in occasionally. It's having to clip in all the time that I think would bug me with all SPD.
  • Previously I thought:

Fannying about in the woods = flats

XC = SPD

But now:

Fannying about in the woods = flats

XC = Flats

Each to his own and all that but I personally think that while SPDs are unmatched for road cycling, mountain biking is more fun with flats.

Plus if you replace bog standard M520 SPDs with Wellgo MG1s, you save a massive 6 grams, thus keeping your inner weight weenie happy.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Flats on the Patriot, SPD's on road bike + Club Roost. A bike for any occasion (that i'll need one for anyway)!!
  • deadkenny wrote:
    Soul Boy wrote:
    What are they like for riding 'flat' with cleats though? i.e. just not clipped in occasionally. It's having to clip in all the time that I think would bug me with all SPD.

Not good, your foot alwat seems to find the cage and clips in :?
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    deadkenny wrote:
    Soul Boy wrote:

rubbish, it just doesn't work. There is no way you would want to not be clipped in on these things over anything bumpier than a trip down the shops anyway, it'd be f'ing lethal.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Plus if you replace bog standard M520 SPDs with Wellgo MG1s, you save a massive 6 grams, thus keeping your inner weight weenie happy.

whilst i like your thinking... unfortunately your not quite thinking it through, there is also the cleat and the shoe weights to consider, you'll fine the spd setup comes in lighter.
  • Anonymous
    Stuey01 wrote:
    rubbish, it just doesn't work. There is no way you would want to not be clipped in on these things over anything bumpier than a trip down the shops anyway, it'd be f'ing lethal.
    Do you extend that to full flats? i.e. you believe clipped in is the way to go always?
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    op = if you want to give them a try, give them a try. if you don't get on with them you can always flog em on here.
    theres pro's and con's with each and the only way you'll know what works for you, is to try different setups
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se