BBC iPlayer

Le Commentateur
Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
edited September 2009 in The bottom bracket
iPlayercycling.jpg

Thought there's something not right here, then noticed a succession of things... toe clips, steel forks – in fact a general absence of carbon – hairy legs... no brand names (well it's the Beeb, right?). So, do the BBC put a retro, possibly amateur Sunday league image up for their footie coverage? :)

Comments

• Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    iPlayercycling.jpg

Thought there's something not right here, then noticed a succession of things... toe clips, steel forks – in fact a general absence of carbon – hairy legs... no brand names (well it's the Beeb, right?). So, do the BBC put a retro, possibly amateur Sunday league image up for their footie coverage? :)

Most images on the BBC site are sourced from Getty Images. I'm sure Getty have much more up-to-date pictures, but the Beeb's preference for non-branding probably limits the selection. Everything cycling-related is massivley branded, you probably do have to go pretty old-school to avoid it.
    The footy (I think) uses the Match of the Day logo, not even a picture of a football, let alone players.
  • Most pro sports have branding everywhere, but there must be some kind of graphic imagery that doesn't look old fashioned/amateur/branded yet can symbolise the top end of the sport.

I suppose nowadays even the way wheel spokes are arranged around a wheel are trademarked, so close ups of componentry wouldn't work.

Maybe a long exposure shot of the peloton zooming past (all blurred colours) would do it, or an aerial view of the hairpins of Alpe d'Huez with crowds lining the roadside.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Wasn't there a problem years ago with unusual frame designs like 'curly' Hetchins or Bates Didrant because of the ban on advertising by the RTTC which was strictly amateur?

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster