Backpack lights/Reflective strips

fatandwheezing
fatandwheezing Posts: 169
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
I have a couple of rear lights, and a couple of front lights, but thought something attached to my backpack would be a good idea.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Ideally I'd like a light that is easily attachable to my bag, but the bag I use varies depending on work, one of the bags doesn't really have an obvious attach point.

Failing that, I thought of sticking reflective strips to the bags to show up in headlights, but all that my local shops have is the snap wrist band things. Are there any sticker packs available?

Thanks[/i]

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Fibre flares for lights (I have two on my rucksack)..

Beseenonabike.co.uk - loads of reflective stickers to pick from - buy in 1m strips.
  • "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I've just put some retro-reflective stickers on the back of my bag. Respro do some specifically for fabric, can be had from Wiggle. Contrary to the image (which shows the backing paper) it's silver in colour and very bright with a light on it.

Will post pics this evening.
  • fossyant wrote:
    Fibre flares for lights (I have two on my rucksack)..

Beseenonabike.co.uk - loads of reflective stickers to pick from - buy in 1m strips.

+1 for the Fibre Flares. They're pretty versatile and can clip to pretty much any bit of fabric on the rucksack. They really stand out especially in flashing mode too.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I had some on both seat stays and the head tube (if you can bring yourself to de-file your bike in this manner :) ).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    I've got one of the Respro Hump P15 backpack covers.
    (I did just try to google images it, but I'm at work and 'Hump' came up with.... well you can imagine!).

It's basically one of those hump covers in either high-vis, or black with reflective strips. There is then a small unit built inside the cover which powers two elctroluminescent strips that run down it. They used to be blue strips, which is what all the reviews and YouTube videos show, but the one I bought is green. I assume they changed it due to the legal ramifications of having blue lights, as you can set it to either solid, flashing or strobe. I'm not sure why they don't just make it red though.....

Anyway, it's pretty visible and waterproof too.
  • I nicked the reflective danglies from my timbuk2 upon its retirement and cunningly attached them to my nice lovely crumpler.
    one of those respro sheets on its way when back in stock from crc.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Cheers all, I'll investigate all those things.

Not fussed about defiling one of my bikes, but the other one needs to stay pristine.
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    Just bought one of these. As well as being highly visibile in daylight, dusk and headlights it's waterproof.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/polaris- ... 36541.html
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    As promised, here's my understated bag modification. Apologies for any seizures...

IMG_2665.gif
  • Looking good brun - will do similar.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • No advice on products but just make sure that unlike one of the roadies that passes me every morning the light on your bag points backwards instead of up.