Do I need lights

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
I was out today when it got pretty dull and started raining. Not so dark you couldn't see but I did notice a few cars had switched their lights on to make themselves more visible.

Should I be getting a set of lights to make myself more visible on dull days.

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Yes.

Here you go, these are great and cheap.

edit - apparently this 60% off offer ends 29th September!
  • Absolutely!! You just cannot be safe enough!!
    It did go dark here in Central Glasgow mid morning with some rain, must have hit your patch soon after.

I was over Campsies on saturday afternoon when it went all dull, thankfully no rain, but switched on my lights just to be seen.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • biondino wrote:
    Yes.

Here you go, these are great and cheap.

edit - apparently this 60% off offer ends 29th September!

+1, I have that very set. I would say that the rear is a lot better than the front, but that's probably more that the rear is superb.
  • -null- wrote:
    I was out today when it got pretty dull and started raining. Not so dark you couldn't see but I did notice a few cars had switched their lights on to make themselves more visible.

Should I be getting a set of lights to make myself more visible on dull days.
    I would. There are various emerency backups you should stick in your back pocket, no matter what the weather (almost). Knog frogs, for example.

On the commuter, I leave the lights on the bike year round.
  • suzyb
    Lights ordered :D

Thanks folks
  • If in doubt, yes.

Worst case is you have to shell out for more batteries than normal, but it might save you from the odd SMIDSY
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • I just bought a Fenix LD20 (or something like that) torch to use as a front light. At 180 lumens it'll be searing the retinas of motorists around London very soon (once it's made it's way through the postal strike). I've still got my Cat Eye light but it's not doing very well and I'm never buying Cat Eye again when for the same price you can get an aluminium bodied light that's built to last.

I still can't believe the number of cyclists you see round London after dark without lights, reflectors or anything, wearing dark clothing. They obviously don't realise how invisible they are from a driver's seat.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • -null- wrote:
    Lights ordered :D

Thanks folks

What did you get then?

I have a Cateye that now likes to switch itself of and on over the bumps. Not the best really...... However, think the Knogs are great.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • suzyb
    Just got the ones biondino suggested. They got some decent reviews on Wiggle and at £15 seem good value for my purposes.
  • I demonstrated my Cateye singleshot plus yesterday - a good bright light... and then put the Hope vision 2 on. I shone the beam onto my palm and stepped up through the 4 levels and even against my hand it was dazzling.

You really do get what you pay for... and likewise I cannot believe the number of people that don't light up at dusk
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • If its really sunny I light up before dusk too, or after sunrise, as often i'm riding east-west or west-east. With the sun coming from straight in front of me the cars behind can often not see me, in any shadows or the glare for example. I know ive had difficulties seeing peds or cyclists, and sometimes other cars in some situations.

The Smart 1/2 watt is bright enough to still be seen in these circumstances and I feel a lot safer knowing that i've done something to protect myself from a high speed rear ender that really would have been a smidsy.
    us0.png
  • I've got lights on year round (but I'm not that fussed abut the odd few oz of weight).

I figure when the killer motorist is using no helment as evidence of cyclist negligence, then getting hit without lights is a green light for a smokescreen defence.

in winter I make an oil rig look a bit dull.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Anything you think can make you more visible.

Which reminds me, my back light needs the batteries changed after having been unused for about a year.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Nice find on that smart light set, seems like a decent one from various reviews, ordered :) ...now if i only had an actual bike to go with it
    Cycling Newbie
    I reserve the right to ask dumb questions :)
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Kazz_uk wrote:
    Nice find on that smart light set, seems like a decent one from various reviews, ordered :) ...now if i only had an actual bike to go with it

I've got them ... they are OK ,my review is up on Wiggle too.

The rear light is fairly unique, a strobe effect .... would I buy them again ?

No :roll:

My Wiggle review;

A Solid set of lights
    Cons: Not Enough Features

"We are all in search of the perfect light, these aren't the ones but they are a solid pair that everyone will be happy with.

I have countless lights, this set from smart I rate mid range. They are well built and are suitable for commuters.

They are expensive at full RRP, I paid £15 which I'm happy with.
    Both lights only have 2 modes each, flashing and steady, I would have liked to see more.

The rear light stands out from all other rear lights, it has an attention grabbing strobe effect, very impressive, worth adding to your collection.

Overall I am 'pleased' with the purchase, there are brighter lights with more options but this set will fulfil most commuters needs."

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • I havre started using lights during day light hours.

Cateye Uno on the front in flashing mode and a Smart Lunar 1/2 watt light flashing on the back.

Do not have any idea if they have any impact on the behaviour of drivers but I feel 'more visable' and should the worst happen give me a fighting chance in court.
  • AndyManc wrote:
    Kazz_uk wrote:
    Nice find on that smart light set, seems like a decent one from various reviews, ordered :) ...now if i only had an actual bike to go with it

My Wiggle review;

A Solid set of lights

"We are all in search of the perfect light, these aren't the ones but they are a solid pair that everyone will be happy with.

I have countless lights, this set from smart I rate mid range. They are well built and are suitable for commuters.

Both lights only have 2 modes each, flashing and steady, I would have liked to see more.

The rear light stands out from all other rear lights, it has an attention grabbing strobe effect, very impressive, worth adding to your collection.

Overall I am 'pleased' with the purchase, there are brighter lights with more options but this set will fulfil most commuters needs."

was one of the few i read from 90+ ones on their site :) i always tend to start with the lowest rated one, nice to read a critical review
    Cycling Newbie
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    I havre started using lights during day light hours.

Cateye Uno on the front in flashing mode and a Smart Lunar 1/2 watt light flashing on the back.

Do not have any idea if they have any impact on the behaviour of drivers but I feel 'more visable' and should the worst happen give me a fighting chance in court.

This thread had me thinking, I put my headlights on when driving on a country road or overtaking in the car, so why do I not carry lights on my bike when I know I won't be out after dark.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Kazz_uk wrote:
    nice to read a critical review

And good on Wiggle to let them through.

The reviewers on Wiggle give 5 stars far to easily, I gave that set 3 stars.

By the way, I hope you recommended my review :wink:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • nwallace wrote:
    I havre started using lights during day light hours.

This thread had me thinking, I put my headlights on when driving on a country road or overtaking in the car, so why do I not carry lights on my bike when I know I won't be out after dark.

As I have said I use lights front and rear to make me more visable to other road users but when drivers see the flashing lights I want them to tihink "flashing lights > caution>cyclist" and adjust their behaviour accordingly. A bit pie in the sky I know but if just 1% of road users are influenced then the risk to cyclist is greatly reduced.

II have adopted the braced position and now waiting for the horde to say I'm an idiot.
  • AndyManc wrote:
    [By the way, I hope you recommended my review :wink:.

Have now :)
    Cycling Newbie
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    I just bought a Fenix LD20 (or something like that) torch to use as a front light. At 180 lumens it'll be searing the retinas of motorists around London very soon (once it's made it's way through the postal strike). I've still got my Cat Eye light but it's not doing very well and I'm never buying Cat Eye again when for the same price you can get an aluminium bodied light that's built to last..

Fenixes and other torches make great "see where you are going" lights (not that that is probably a particular concern for you in London, which unlike more rural parts I guess is pretty universally street-lit). They're not that good for drivers seeing you, though, as they have pretty much zero side-on visibility (think driver approaching a junction as you're crossing it...).

So you may also want a second light with more side spill (the translucent Knogs are good for this).
  • suzyb
    Kazz_uk wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:
    Kazz_uk wrote:

My Wiggle review;

A Solid set of lights

was one of the few i read from 90+ ones on their site :) i always tend to start with the lowest rated one, nice to read a critical review
    So did actually :lol:

And whilst I hope people will see flashing lights and think "cyclist" it'll probably be more like "wtf is that flashing light". You don't get that many cyclists around here braving inclement weather.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Just a bump to remind people that the Smart Bspoke LED 1/2 Watt Light Set is on a 60% off offer at £15.20 until midnight tonight (Tuesday 29th September). Whether or not they return tomorrow at the same price is to be seen! I didn't risk it, got my order in yesterday.

Still looking for a decent light to put on the back of my courier bag, my search continues...
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • tjwood wrote:
    I just bought a Fenix LD20 (or something like that) torch to use as a front light. At 180 lumens it'll be searing the retinas of motorists around London very soon (once it's made it's way through the postal strike). I've still got my Cat Eye light but it's not doing very well and I'm never buying Cat Eye again when for the same price you can get an aluminium bodied light that's built to last..

Fenixes and other torches make great "see where you are going" lights (not that that is probably a particular concern for you in London, which unlike more rural parts I guess is pretty universally street-lit). They're not that good for drivers seeing you, though, as they have pretty much zero side-on visibility (think driver approaching a junction as you're crossing it...).

So you may also want a second light with more side spill (the translucent Knogs are good for this).

Yes, true I suppose, but my current Cat Eye light doesn't have much "side spill" either I don't think. I've got a couple of those dangly LED lights that hang from a piece of elastic. I suppose I could hang them sideways for side visibility...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.