This is a little scary:

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nott ... 277486.stm

Cylcist had to be cut out.

Out of what? The car??? :shock: If you google the location you can see the road running right through the middle - open, arrow straight and wide. It beggars belief how a collision took place.

This is Nottingham say:

TWO male cyclists have been taken to hospital with suspected fractures after they collided with a car in Mapperley earlier today.

One of the men, who are both believed to be in their 40s, had to be cut free by firefighters after his bicycle collided with the 4x4 at about 9.30am in Plains Road.

Firefighters from Arnold, Carlton and Highfield fire stations were called to the accident.

Both cyclists suffered cuts, bruises and suspected fractures from the incident. The driver of the 4x4 was not hurt.

Work that one out!
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Typical crap BBC reporting of incidents where cars have collided with cyclists.

I too like you am wondering about the scenario but have come to the conclusion that it was probably written by a work placement wanabee hack who hasn't a clue, who has got confused, and can't convey clearly an RTA.

Or maybe one of cyclists was trapped underneath the 4x4 which had to be cut to get them out :( . But if this scenario was the case I think it would be less likely that a cyclist would have survived. We are told that both were admitted to hospital with less serious injuries .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Nasty, that road is part of my commute. Not clear from the report where the colision was. There are lots of pedestrian crossings and parked cars and is 4 lanes, so it is not as benign a road as first appears.
  • Poacher
    Poacher Posts: 165
    The coverage in the Nottingham Evening Post has attracted an interesting crop of comments.
    Ceps, morelles, trompettes de mort. Breakfast of champignons.
  • number9
    number9 Posts: 440
    B J Mann is a bumclown, he's been polluting talkboards with petrolhead lies for years.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    It is alarming that these people are driving in the same city as me.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Needing to be cut free suggests he has gone into the side of the vehicle, some pics you see of motorcycles that have done this are a bit scary.

Here is my thinking:
    If it was a front or corner the bonnet would have done it's secondary job, into the back the boot lid/hatch should have done similar.

Contact with the engine would guarantee burns

Into the front wing, face plant the pavement on the other side of the car

Going under a 4x4 would have involved jacks rather than cutting gear

Being wrapped up in the suspension probably wouldn't have required a trip to hospital.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Cut Free = write off.

Of course he could have been cut free from his bike.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Cut Free = write off.

Of course he could have been cut free from his bike.

I read it as cut free from car, that's another reason I reckon it was into the side.

http://nexo-s.com/userstatic/wowcolumbia/hotornot/4d9078256979436d893e610250ab2cda/motorcycle-crash-into-car-759830_500.jpg

Linking to that picture rather than posting it, if you want to see it click it, if not don't.

The problem I have with my interpretation is the speed.

Of course there is no mention of what type of 4x4 either, was it an old lightweight landrover or a hummer?
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    Cyclist could have gone through the windscreen or another window into the car. Or he could have been trapped between the car and another object (lamp post, railing, wall etc). Or his bike could have been pulled partially under the car or into a wheel arch trapping him in the process. Or the driver may have sat him in the back seat of the car to wait for an ambulance, at which point (after the adrenaline wore off) he realised that he actually had serious neck/back pain. All of these would have resulted in him having to be "cut free" one way or another.

(The last case isn't that uncommon. Never sit someone who's been involved in an RTC in your car even if they appear to be able to walk, at least not if you don't want to risk having the fire service chop your car to bits!)
  • Aguila wrote:
    It is alarming that these people are driving in the same city as me.

it's alarming some of them are allowed out without professional carers :shock: