accomodation options near coed y brenin

Doughty
Doughty Posts: 22
edited May 2010 in Routes
Hello All,

I hope this is the right place to ask...

Me and 2 other friends are looking around for accomodation near to Coed y Brenin trail centre, either BnB or possibly a camp site.

any recomendations and/or links to websites would be a great help.

I have had a browse around the interweb all ready, but some personal recomendation would be very welcome indeed.

Thanks
Chris

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    It's neither B&B nor camping but the Tyn y Groes Hotel comes highly recommended. Nice rooms, good food and secure bike storage too.

Google it.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • thanks for the quick response, I had actually found that all ready and had it on a shortlist, thanks for the recomendation
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Camping and B&B available with secure bike storage. The closest you will probably find to the entrance of CyB.

http://www.caegwynfarm.co.uk/index.htm
  • clint29
    clint29 Posts: 224
    Caegwynfarm rocks stayed there in May and will definetley be going back
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    http://www.bikers-retreat.com/

here or there's a campsite next to cymer (i think that's how you spell it) abbey. :D

http://www.vanner.co.uk/home.htm
  • Doughty
    Doughty Posts: 22
    I thought i would just end this thread with my final details,

we stayed at Tyn-y-Groes Hotel, 2.5 miles from the Trail centre, fantastic place, I would simply book the place again without looking for anywhere else next time, highly recomended.

CYB - fantastic place, very technical, grueling climbs, an epic weekend!

thanks to all on these forums, you helped me choose a bike, a helmet cam, and a hotel for am amazing weekends riding :D

a quick direct from cam video of Flightpath from the Tarw route
    http://www.vimeo.com/6905423
  • Nelson1
    Nelson1 Posts: 3
    edited May 2010
    The Tyn-y-Groes Hotel almost ruined our holiday!

This hotel is on the main A road. With no double glazing, the cars and trucks going by at 60mph sound like they're going right through the room.

But the worst thing were the mattresses. We felt every single spring! (My wife ended up sleeping on the floor...) No one in our party got more than a few hours sleep, the beds were that uncomfortable. Add to that the toilet that didn't flush (at all) and a very un-attentive wait-staff and you can imagine our disappointment.

When we checked out after one night (we had booked for two) because we were so dissatisfied, the owner was very rude, called us liars, and refused to refund our money for the second night even though we were definitely not going to stay there.

My lowest possible recommendation. (Try biking all day with just a couple hours of sleep - tough!)

It was so worth it to find another place - which we eventually did: a wonderful B&B in nearby Dolgellau called Dwy Olwyn (Two Wheels) Their website is www.DwyOlwyn.co.uk.) Only £24 per person! An extremely nice landlady. And what a view of the Welsh mountains...
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Regarding Tyn-y-Groes, I found the hotel itself wasn't bad (no problems with the beds, but I sleep like a brick), but the manager/owner was a bit of a miserable sod. I'm not convinced it was particularly good value either. Some other guys in our group stayed at the Plas Dolmelynllyn Hall, which is quite a bit posher, but they really liked it. It's closer to the trails, too.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    there is a bothy about 100m from the beast

its free and there is a stove

it is however like the blair witch project :shock:
  • Anonymous
    tsenior wrote:
    there is a bothy about 100m from the beast
    is there? From the beast in which way? from the trailhead?
  • tsenior
    hang on mate i'll have a look
  • tsenior
    yeehah, PM'd you (i hope: not used the function before) bothies are great but be responsible like.
  • Anonymous
    Received, thank you. Of course I'll be responsible, i'm not an irresponsible chav :lol:
  • tsenior
    LOL i got told its like fight club

the first rule of the bothy is that there is no bothy :wink: