Interesting bike combo/

Fridge-Seal
Fridge-Seal Posts: 105
edited October 2009 in MTB general
I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but I figured here would be the best bet...so here goes...

I had this idea the other day: It would be interesting to know of/ build/ buy/ whatever, a bike that has short travel (100-120, 130 max), but with Fox 36's or something similar (RS Lyrics I 'spose) on the front, with a large volume Fox RP23 (or similar)/ Marzocchi Roco with large volume/piggy back/ equivalent RS thing out the back.
Also it has to not be built like tank (the "make-it-tough-and-devil-may-care-if-it's-heavy" approch :wink: ) maybe sub 30lb.
geometry wise, a fairly steep HA˚, none of this super slacked out stuff, everything doesn't particularly matter.
It also must be able to climb and not suffer from pedal bob or suchlike.

Am I asking too much? Is this like a dream bike or something (I have feeling it may be similar to like a slopestyle bike or something :? )

Anyone have any ideas?

Price and suchlike is irrelevant, it's just a theoretical idea (but it would be cool if this bike did exist, somewhere out there :D )
92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig

Walk (Ride) softly and carry a big fish

Yay, 100 hundred posts :-)

Comments

• I rode an Intense Spider 2 on Saturday. Pretty much as you described, although they had used a 32mm fork on it (RS rev iirc) and a custom somethinged float (it didn't need the platform settings of the RP23 to go up hills let me tell you.) 120 F&R is a bit of a sweet spot for a trail bike I rekon. The bike industry has blown its collective wad a bit on the "more sus is goodder" mantra. 120mm of properly set up sus I rekon is where it's at for a flexible trail bike. 150 gets a bit too vague and the lighter ones (eg 575 and Mojo) suffer stiffness issues. 69/73 Seat/Head angles with a short(ish) TT (23" for med) round it off into a very nice package IMO

The Spider 2 is my new favourite bike (That I don't own ;) ) and could be built at 25-26lbs without blowing your stack too badly (still 5-6 K USD....ok, maybe that is blowing your stack....), ... a 36 fork would add a pound+ to that

I'm very interested on fitting one of these up with a lyric 2-step or 36 TALAS, although Intense say 100-140 for the fork so not sure on that. They said they developed it because people were fitting longer forks to spiders so I rekon they're probably good for 160..... :roll:
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    morwood ndsizda, might not be able to go up hillls
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thing is, if you have fox 36s (160mm travel) and a steep head angle, you're going to have problems under braking, as the head angle gets even steeper.
  • joshtp
    Thing is, if you have fox 36s (160mm travel) and a steep head angle, you're going to have problems under braking, as the head angle gets even steeper.
    dead right, or at least you will be dead if you try to do that. maybe having a u-turn, or talas fork, with an adjustable head angle. or pos have something like the bionicon system so as to fiddle with all sorts of geometry and travel.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Thing is, if you have fox 36s (160mm travel) and a steep head angle, you're going to have problems under braking, as the head angle gets even steeper.

my understanding of the suggestion (and what I'm thinking for the Spider 2) is that you run 120 normally (giving steepish HA) then dial the thing out to 160 when you want more confidence going down (slacking out the HA)

otherwise you're right, ofc, 69 HA with a 160mm fork would be a quick way to the dentist, via emergency. Edit; Now I re-read the OP, I think I read it wrong the 1st time. Ah well

• mmm I fully agree with the whole 120mm travel thing.
    Thing is, the idea was to have 100/1200 36's/Lyrics, with a steep head angle (maybe have them lowered, like with spacers or something :?
    not 160mm 36's/Lyrics with a steep head angle,
    but I fully agree with you about the other stuff though, and interesting suggestion with the Spider and Ndsizda.
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig

• OK then, 120mm burly build but steep angled frame with 36mm 120mm travel forks up font.

Take one Spider 2 frame. Take one TALAS 36 or Lyric 2 step set to 120mm....

sounds like the biuke I plan t build once Mrs B releases the 2010 biking budget....

however, unless you plan to run it at 160, you could fit a pike instead. 36mm would probably be stiffer (although at 120, I'm not sure whether the difference would be so noticeable), but the pike is a *bunch* cheaper and still bloody stiff.

• joshtp
    Ah! ok, so 120mm of very burly travel both ends! easy, cut down Totem, low leverage ratio linkage driving a Fox DHX coil shock. 800mm bars, short stem, crash bang wollop!
    you have the ultimate "play" bike
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    basically, what you're asking for is a marin wolfridge (although that does have 140mm travel both ends).
  • basically, what you're asking for is a marin wolfridge

yeah only not made by Marin coz dem ugly

/runs

• Anonymous
    Hey, good looking wasa not part of his "spec"
  • joshtp
    yeah but who want a bike as ugly as thw wolf...... :lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Yeah! that's what I'm talking about, short travel, burly and super capable! :twisted:
    I'm likin' all the suggestions, the Totems sound awesome, but the coil shock's probably a bit of overkill :? :)

The Intense Spider (yeah! :) OR Banshee (Mythic) Spitfire with the cut down 36's/Lyrics/ Totems-do the Totems have an air driven model? to keep weight down-
    with a XV Fox thing/ DHX Air/ Marzocchi Roco with piggy pack, not an insanely short stem, light wheels (American classics or something....or Crank Bro's wheels! :P ) :D Formula Brakes with Ashima Air Rotors! and All-mountain orientated bars and parts (Easton stuff probably)
    And you would have yourself one hell of a killer bike :), you could probably do most things with it, from
    XC (racing if you man-ed up enough, after all my XC hard tail weighs like 14kg! and I can get 3rd junior male with it!)
    Marathon races, 6/12/24 hour
    All mountain/Enduro, backcountry adventures
    and maybe a little (just a touch) of some free-ride, nothing too crazy

...possible even some 4X or DH'ing if you treated it REALLY well :) and didn't do anything too extreme :)

For those people who are interested in the Spitfire, here's a vid:
    http://www.sicklines.com/2009/09/25/video-2010-banshee-spitfire/

• Anonymous
    Well, what you have there is YOUR ideal bike.
    mine, is oen that will take a DH beasting, and some freeride, but is capable of being ridden all day, not the other way around.
  • yeah but who want a bike as ugly as thw wolf...... :lol:

Wolf's rock! Especially in ridiculous orange!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Hey, good looking wasa not part of his "spec"

a fair point well made :D

• joshtp
    ok! the wolf does look pretty mental in orange, i never said it was bad, i just think the quad link 2 is a bit of a, well, i dont know, it just looks a bit of a monstrodity, it aint elegant....
    however... if your gona have a bike like that well... Orange and LOUD is a good option!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    ok! the wolf does look pretty mental in orange, i never said it was bad, i just think the quad link 2 is a bit of a, well, i dont know, it just looks a bit of a monstrodity, it aint elegant....
    however... if your gona have a bike like that well... Orange and LOUD is a good option!
    As an engineering solution, I think it's far more elegant than most 4-bar alternatives though.
  • joshtp
    As an engineering solution, I think it's far more elegant than most 4-bar alternatives though.
    oh yeah! its a brilliant pies of engeniering! but the new Spech designes, may not work as well, but are fantastic looking things! even the old quad link ala white 46 (may it live forever) was a butiful thing.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    meh, each to his own. I like it.
  • joshtp
    fair enough, one mans junk is anothers jewl... :lol:
    no the wolf is a briliant thing!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • I reckon the coolest looking suspension would have to be the "dual trail control" thing from Cube! how awesome does it look? 8) I have no idea how it rides, as they aren't distributed in Australia (Boo! :( )
    come to think of it, the whole bike just looks cool :) especially the Sting, in carbon and Lime green :wink:

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Fridge-Seal

Sounds like this fits the bill.

img0421by.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    I reckon the coolest looking suspension would have to be the "dual trail control" thing from Cube! how awesome does it look? 8)
    See, to me, that looks like an overcomplicated piece of gash. Proper fugly.
    stereo_0.jpg
  • See, to me, that looks like an overcomplicated piece of gash. Proper fugly.

mmm yeah that doesn't look to good, but that's old, this is what it looks like now, much more suave:
    sting-hpc-green.jpg

But anyway, sorry for the late response, I'm in Vietnam at the moment and this is the firsty chance I've had to get at a computer. :D

On the original sort of thing, how to you shorten fork travel? I mean if it isn't like 2-Step/IT/ATA/TALAS, all o0f which have a limited range (except for this: cool thing )

Is it possible to physically cut the stantions down? or do use like, a million spacers?