So - is that it now?

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited September 2009 in Pro race
Is that basically it for the year? I think there's some race down under coming up - but is that basically it for road racing until next year now?

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    No.

Here's the calendar for October. It's in French.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/Cyclisme ... _2009.html

The big ones to look out for are Paris-Tours and the Tour of Lombardy.
  • No way! Still Paris-Tours (the sprinters world championships!) and Tour of Lombardy (one of the best hilly classics, and always a great race) to come.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Eh? There is the sprinters classic of Paris-Tours, always a great finish, and above all, the beautiful and prestigious Tour of Lombardy is coming up. But after these, yes, that's it.

Cyclo-cross and six day news awaits. (where's the yawn emoticon?)
  • Pokerface
    Of course - I forgot about Paris-Tours. Wonder if Cav will make it back for that?
  • Kléber wrote:
    Cyclo-cross and six day news awaits. (where's the yawn emoticon?)

Those are gastro-cycling events for the spectator, best seen live with frites and beers to hand. Saturday 28th November is ideal -- cycloscross at sandy Koksijde in the afternoon, raucus 6-Day beer-fest in the evening in Ghent.
  • I've become a convert to cyclo cross in the last couple of years, I like how mental it all is, and like le commentateur says, is fantastic with a beer and frites
  • Pokerface
    I went to see my first cyclo-cross yesterday.

I found it all very boring. I suspect beer and frites would have turned the tables though and made it MUCH more interesting!
  • Why do you think it's so popular in Belgium?!?!? ;)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    A blatant plug, but anyone who wants to experience a cyclo cross race in the UK with a beer tent should get down to Herne Hill velodrome on October 31st;

MUDDYHELL1.jpg
  • What a win by Gilbert last year
    2008_paris_tours_philippe_gilbert_francaise_des_jeux_wins.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • "Course to run through bar tent"

That's the clincher for me!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Saturday 28th November is ideal -- cycloscross at sandy Koksijde in the afternoon
    A good one to go over to watch - not far from Calais if you can't get a weekend pass to go on to Ghent :x

2063055662_484358d3a2.jpg
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:
    Of course - I forgot about Paris-Tours. Wonder if Cav will make it back for that?

It seems Cav will NOT be riding Paris-Tours
  • andyp wrote:
    A blatant plug, but anyone who wants to experience a cyclo cross race in the UK with a beer tent should get down to Herne Hill velodrome on October 31st;

just down the road from me but it's my wife's birthday. and she's pregnant so I can't even tempt her with have a beer and it wil be fun :(
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Kléber wrote:
    Eh? There is the sprinters classic of Paris-Tours, always a great finish, and above all, the beautiful and prestigious Tour of Lombardy is coming up. But after these, yes, that's it.

There isnt a tarmac single day race that can compare with Lombardy for me, its a special event on the calendar usually producing a good attacking winner. Cunego's win last year was something special.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Moray Gub wrote:

There isnt a tarmac single day race that can compare with Lombardy for me, its a special event on the calendar usually producing a good attacking winner. Cunego's win last year was something special.

+1

The only unfortunate bit is the TV coverage is usually limited. I'd love to see the last couple of hours of the race.

But after the Tour I look forward to the Worlds and Lombardy most of all.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

+1

The only unfortunate bit is the TV coverage is usually limited. I'd love to see the last couple of hours of the race.

I agree with both of you fellas. For me, Lombardy is my favourite race for the whole year with LBL and Amstel bringing up the rear. The scenery is stunning with a brilliant run in to the finish and the race always throws up a worthy winner with many of the big guns showing themselves towards the end when it matters so that they can be crowned the winner of The Race Of The Falling Leaves. IMO it's one of the few races on the calendar that still has a certain amount of romance about it.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    I'm going to join the Lombardy love in, a beautiful race that almost always produces a worthy winner.

I hope RCS continue to use the current finish as the combination of the Ghisallo, then the Civiglio, the fearsome descent from that into Como then the San Fermo guarantee an exciting climax and a worthy winner.
  • moray_gub
    I agree with both of you fellas. For me, Lombardy is my favourite race for the whole year with LBL and Amstel bringing up the rear. The scenery is stunning with a brilliant run in to the finish and the race always throws up a worthy winner with many of the big guns showing themselves towards the end when it matters so that they can be crowned the winner of The Race Of The Falling Leaves. IMO it's one of the few races on the calendar that still has a certain amount of romance about it.

+1

As for the race itself I am not a big Cadel Evans fan but i would quite like to see Evans win Lombardy in the rainbow jersey. Cant think there was much better sights than Bettini flying down into Como resplendant in the stripes. The only bad thing about it its usually followed by Dave Harmon saying see you all next year and the realisation that thats it until early spring :-(
  • moray_gub
    iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

+1

Yep TV coverage is usually about an hour or which is never enough.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    For me Lombardia does not have the excitement, anticipation and passion of De Ronde van Vlaanderen, or the brash hectic madness of Milano-San Remo. Le Foglie Morte is a more civilized, sedate, atmospheric classic. The race itself is always a bit difficult to read, the route changing completely every few years, and no clear focus point anywhere. But there is always the bells at the Madonna del Ghisallo and the falling leaves.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I agree with what people have said about Lombardia, but I must stick up for Paris-Tours too, because that's another one of my favourites. It has the same kind of subdued, autumnal atmosphere as Lombardia, and the finish on the Avenue de Grammont is excellent.

Some great attacking winners in recent years, too. Gilbert, Guesdon, Dekker, Virenque... a sprinter's classic that the sprinters rarely win.
  • I remember readin ages ago though that it's not going to finish on the Avenue de Grammont for much longer, because the local council are installing tram tracks on part of it.

Like you say, there have been some great winners, especially when Guesdon won and less than half the riders finished
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    In all likelihood I'll have emigrated to Slovenia in time for this year's Tour of Lombardy, so I'll probably hop across the border to see that one. 8)
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Have just got back from Menaggio where I was staying to watch the Worlds - managed to climb the Ghisallo on Friday - got in under the hour mark (was taking it easy as it was the start of a 50-miler through Erba into Como and back round up to Menaggio)

What kind of time do the pros make it in?

It was pretty cool to see last year's names still painted on the road as well.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...