I need people to SCR!

Compost
Compost Posts: 63
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi all

I'm new here.

I commute 6 miles into Huddersfield and only ever see people on knobbly MTBs and folding bikes. I want someone to push me to attack the hills. Where are you all?!

Comments

• yup I never see any one either, though to be fair my commute is very short and though a royal park.
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    Come to Portsmouth sometime, plenty of us here.

Although a small note, you won't beat me. :wink:
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • Same here, I hardly ever see anybody on a bike except hoodied yooves dressed from head to toe in black and riding in whatever road position/direction is the 'most wrong' for that stretch of road :roll:

Still, having well and truly left for dead all 4 cyclists I have actually come across on my route over the last 3 years - I guess that means I have an unblemished 100% scalpage record? :D
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I pass a couple of fairly fast-looking people most days, one on a SS or fixed; unfortunately, they're going in the opposite direction.

Need more people for SCR Lancaster branch.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • MTFU and SCR yourself, time yourself door to door, it isn't hard and works surprisingly efficiently.

If you're not cool enough for that just race cars, motorbikes, scooters, buses whatever moves.
  • MTFU and SCR yourself, time yourself door to door, it isn't hard and works surprisingly efficiently.

If you're not cool enough for that just race cars, motorbikes, scooters, buses whatever moves.
  • Same here do 10 miles Redhill, Bristol to Clevedon and same amount back. Hardly ever see a soul if i do they aren't doing any speed.
  • Agent57
    Time trialling doesn't really work for SCR. I can't scalp myself, nor be scalped by myself, as I have the same SCR rating, surely? Or does an even rating count as a scalp? I can't recall.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Move to London. I would :wink:

Other than that I would try and scalp myself. Time myself door to door (see the 20min thread).

Also you can scalp someone who has the same FCN as youself.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Agent57
    It's years since I lived in London. I wouldn't move back though; I like being able to afford a decent sized house for less than a million quid. :D
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Agent57 wrote:
    It's years since I lived in London. I wouldn't move back though; I like being able to afford a decent sized house for less than a million quid. :D

You mean your home is not worth a million pounds... Really, what's that like do you have an outdoor toilet?

urgh!!! yokels...

:wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Agent57
    :D

We've even got that electrickery stuff!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Naaah, no hills in London. Cycling is no fun without hills :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Other than that I would try and scalp myself. Time myself door to door (see the 20min thread).

Also you can scalp someone who has the same FCN as youself.

I do or least edge of okay Bushy park is never going to be scalp fest but even on training days to Mitcham not a sausage.
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    I also very rarely get a chance to SCR.

The most recent 'scalp' was a JCB 3CX. Was a bit scary - would far prefer bikes. Racing humans tend to get knackered pretty quickly, unlike the JCB which then drafted me for a mile. I think that it was a personal best for that stretch!

I just have to leave the overtaking to the cyclocross at the weekend!
  • My current commute is sadly target free, I miss the halcyon days of commuting in London, or at least down the Gloucester Road. Plenty of scalps that way!

I've seen a grand total of 4 valid scalping targets - Two higher FCN who (sadly for me) are currently happy to use the dirty main road that I'm not yet confident enough to touch, two are the same FCN as me, one's been scalped, the other I only saw today.

As others have said if you've got a lack of people to race, race yourself or anything else that moves.

I keep (possibly a bit sadly) a log of the time/distance I take to come in to work, as well as having set targets on the route - Failure to keep above 18mph on the 4 mile flat stretch means my route home has to take in a fast hill; keeping the power on at 35-40mph is good spinning practice. - Fail to stay above 11mph on the hill (61m rise in about 1 KM, 10%ish at steepest) means hitting taking in three more hills on the way home.

Speeds are a bit low (Only been commuting this route for two weeks) but they'll get raised slowly to ensure I'm not slacking!
    FCN: 5
  • I used to live in London but decided that I prefer fresh air :P

I do time myself, but it gets a bit dull. It's a steady 17 mins in and 24 mins home (now that's a proper hill!)

I now just try to race the bus...