Eurosport commentary FAIL!

homercles
homercles Posts: 499
edited September 2009 in Pro race
For those of you who perhaps missed it, I managed to grab this thanks to the wonders of V+.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kNT9YSS_LM&feature=email

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Ah,
    Saved for posterity, thank you!

I heard it but as it was bed time (11.30pm) here I actually wrote it down :shock: so I'd remember it the next day. I didn't know if it had gone out in the UK as we sometimes get different coverage in the Asia Pacific region. Classic, and a lovely insight into the thin layer of professionalism under which many of us work each day..... (or is that just me...?) :)

My sig. has changed as a salute to David. Chapaeu, Sir!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    :lol:
    I was waiting for Sean to chirp in with "Yes, well, JC yooze a majorly forking eejit"
  • pottssteve
    Bronzie wrote:
    I was waiting for Sean to chirp in with "Yes, well, JC yooze a majorly forking eejit"

HaHa,
    I blame the Eye-talians... :wink:
  • The coverage wasn't any better here in Germany... barely had Cuddles crossed the line, they cut away to women's handball.

Great ride by Evans, though. I was so pleased for him after the shit year he's had.
  • pottssteve
    TimDanaher wrote:
    The coverage wasn't any better here in Germany... barely had Cuddles crossed the line, they cut away to women's handball.

Great ride by Evans, though. I was so pleased for him after the shit year he's had.

Yeah,
    But handball's massive in Germany! :roll:
  • DH's earlier comment about Evans breathing from every orifice was slightly more disturbing than his berating of the broadcast director.
  • Priceless. I've got sky+ so I watched it 3 times, I was pissing myself.

Surely the commentary wasn't live (in the sense that they were watching a recording but doing it live) in which case why didn't they edit it out??
  • pottssteve
    No, I think it's pretty much live. I've emailed comments and questions in before and they have been read out within seconds of hitting send... :D
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    Thanks for posting!! Glad I could see what all this fuss was about :lol:
  • Bronzie wrote:

:D

I loved the whaaaaaaaaaaaat? by harmon, it just didn't sound like the harmon we know!
  • It was definitely live - I think the "problem" was David Harmon had been told they'd left the cycling by the producer while he was still talking about Evans's win. Problem was it was only International Eurosport that had left and British Eurosport was still broadcasting.

Surprisingly British Eurosport carried the race in full whereas Int. Eurosport cut away for motorcycling etc
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    homercles wrote:
    For those of you who perhaps missed it, I managed to grab this thanks to the wonders of V+.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kNT9YSS_LM&feature=email

After that you hear a gir saying your still on British so id be careful about what you say.............this is followed by a long silence where you can picture DH saying ohhh f*ck !
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,818
    I managed to record all of the RR apart from the last 9Kms !
    Fortunately my back-up strategy of recording the BBC output did catch the whole thing but I'd like to have a ES version on DVD. Anyone able to help out here ?
    Alternative will be to output the freeview recording on that machine's HD to my DVD recorder and suffer the BBC's commentary - I much prefer the David/Sean pairing.
  • No, International caught all of that as well, including, after an eternal pause, Sean whispering....."er, I think we might still be on....."
    Went off after the placings as far as Fedrigo, with the long pan out from the finish.

Anyhow, I'm really glad a Eurosport cycling commentator finally broke ranks with the party line.....er....bollocks about showing more cycling than any other station (that's Sporza, guys) and how only 3 men and a dog watch RRing, but millions watch sumo. :roll:

Can you imagine what the leather and ear plug brigade would say, if Eurosport suddenly stopped showing their podium antics?

Having said that, I don't think we would have had them same outburst, had Vino won!

Last two laps of the BBC coverage, still here:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 7_09_2009/
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pottssteve
    It was definitely live - I think the "problem" was David Harmon had been told they'd left the cycling by the producer while he was still talking about Evans's win. Problem was it was only International Eurosport that had left and British Eurosport was still broadcasting.

Surprisingly British Eurosport carried the race in full whereas Int. Eurosport cut away for motorcycling etc

We got it here in HK :D I'm thinking of having a T shirt made....
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Instant catchphrase, innit. You just know that from now on, every time cycling gets pushed aside for sumo wrestling or ten pin bowling, there will be a whole army of cycling fans across the world going "that's bollocks, JC!"
  • pottssteve
    afx237vi wrote:
    Instant catchphrase, innit. You just know that from now on, every time cycling gets pushed aside for sumo wrestling or ten pin bowling, there will be a whole army of cycling fans across the world going "that's bollocks, JC!"

What size shall I put you down for? :wink:
  • pottssteve
    edited September 2009
    I like David Harmon. :D
  • I am really clever, i set my Virgin box to record anotehr 10 mins after every recording which is great when recording so much cycling...apart from when the b@stard riders obviously couldnt be bothered & chit chat to much....so although i recorded 10mins after the scheduled finish i only got to Evans at the 2km mark !! damn i blame that Swiss lump Cancellara :twisted: for only trying when the Swiss turned on their TVs for the last 30mins !!! (fortunately as i was watching it late last night i then watched the highlights to check if Evans won:oops: ).
  • I was watching on International via analogue satellite which cut off 1.55 after Evans crossed the line, so missed the 'comments'. It went straight to the women's handball after an ad break, right at the very start of the match, so maybe it was being held up for the TV coverage. I sort of admire Eurosport's no-frills approach (I may be in a minority), for the most part they show the sport which is the important thing. Handball is a decent sport after all & I don't blame people for wanting to watch it, and on International at least cycling gets a pretty good deal - of course at the end of the day they show what the sponsors and advertisers pay for, they're not sporting purists.

Luckily I just recorded a block from 1pm - 5pm, I would have missed the finish if I'd looked at the schedule!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    He rides with my club, when he can. Ooooooo, wait til' we see him.

All together now lads..........................."THAT'S BOLL*CKS J.C." :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Believe it or not the incident even got a mention on today's Guardian football podcast!
    Le Blaireau (1)