Indent in carbon steerer

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited September 2009 in The workshop
Whilst dismantling the ex-commuter yesterday, I found a groove in the rear-facing side of the steerer, which becomes less prominent/deep as you move towards the front-facing side of the steerer.

(Not great) pix below. Anyone got any views on whether this is Not Good?

3959954006_c5cbb0bfa3.jpg

3959953240_a60553cbc2.jpg

3959952448_1e09e067db.jpg

3959179923_5c82b785c0.jpg

I'll probably get this checked by the LBS when I get a new frame, but wondered whether anyone had anyone views.

In any event, the forks may be b*uggered anyway because the thread on the fixing bolt is knackered, which means I can't get my brake calipers out.

Great week in all, really.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    If it's full carbon, I'd say it's fooked and doomed to failure.

Sorry,

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :(

Cheers, anyway.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Looks like it's done for. You could take it to one of the CF repair shops and get their opinion as to whether it's repairable before buying a new replacement.
  • Avoneer
    As most of the bike carbon stuff is pre-preg, it would be very hard to repair to the same strength and personally I wouldn't want to risk it on such a part which is always under a lot of stress.

Wouldn't like to be flying down a hill and the front wheel turn side ways if it broke.

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I think physics would mean the wheel would remain straight even if the steerer did break unless something hefty deviated it from its path.
  • Avoneer
    What, like a corner ;-)

Pat...
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Avoneer wrote:
    What, like a corner ;-)

Pat...

I think leaning into a corner (not too sharp a corner, obv) should maintain forward momentum okay?

Actually I don't really know what I'm talking about, only that I don't believe the wheel would skew wildly in any direction if the steerer broke during riding.