Campagnolo gear problem

sashmo
sashmo Posts: 113
edited September 2009 in Workshop
I have a Campag 10 speed and am running a 13-29 cassette. My problem is that I cannot get the rear derailleur to change onto the 13 ring and the 29 ring. I can adjust it so that it goes onto the 29 nicely and likewise for the 13, but not both together.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what am I doing wrong? The limit screws aren't preventing the derailleur at the top and botton of its travel and I just can't seem to get the point where the chain will sit happily on the top and bottom sprockets.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You have a 9 speed shifter/mech and 11 speed cassette?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    NapoleonD wrote:
    You have a 9 speed shifter/mech and 11 speed cassette?

13-29 cassettes don't exist in 11spd
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Then my joke didn't work.
  • Have you tried taking the slack out of the cable when it's on the 13? It should have enough tension to reach the 29 then.
  • sashmo
    Thanks for the help. Do you mean undo the cable when its on the 13 and then reattach it?
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Has it always been like this or has it just started?
  • sashmo
    Good question. I have a feeling that it has been like this since I had the drive train transferred over to a new frame.
  • philo
    philo Posts: 46
    Hi and here's what to do.

1.Remove the cable from the rear derailleur and NOW the derailleur should be close to the 13 cog. Bottom out cable tension screw then turn back 1 full turn
    2. On your right hand shifter ensure the thumb shift can click down no more.
    3. You can now set the limit screw to EXACTLY line up with the 13 cog
    4. Attach the cable to the INSIDE of the pinch bolt of the rear derailleur but don't pull it too tight, just take up the slack.
    5. Now you should be able to shift to the 29 cog. If not, adjust the top limit screw so that it's level with the 29 cog.
    6. Shift up and down the cassette to check it's smooth.
    7. If the shift won't shift up towards the 29 cog turn the cable tension screw ANTI-CLOCKWISE 1/4 turn at a time. (Tightens cable)
    8. If the shift won't shift down towards the 13 cog turn the cable tension screw CLOCKWISE 1/4 turn at a time. (Slackens cable)

This should work as I've done it loads now!

Best of luck
    Philo

Get free goodies by going here! (As seen on BBC Newsnight)
    http://gifts.freebiejeebies.co.uk/117914
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,863
    set up the cable tension tight on the 14t sprocket (remember to have the gear levers clicked up one notch)
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    philo wrote:
    Hi and here's what to do.

1.Remove the cable from the rear derailleur and NOW the derailleur should be close to the 13 cog. Bottom out cable tension screw then turn back 1 full turn
    2. On your right hand shifter ensure the thumb shift can click down no more.
    3. You can now set the limit screw to EXACTLY line up with the 13 cog
    4. Attach the cable to the INSIDE of the pinch bolt of the rear derailleur but don't pull it too tight, just take up the slack.
    5. Now you should be able to shift to the 29 cog. If not, adjust the top limit screw so that it's level with the 29 cog.
    6. Shift up and down the cassette to check it's smooth.
    7. If the shift won't shift up towards the 29 cog turn the cable tension screw ANTI-CLOCKWISE 1/4 turn at a time. (Tightens cable)
    8. If the shift won't shift down towards the 13 cog turn the cable tension screw CLOCKWISE 1/4 turn at a time. (Slackens cable)

This should work as I've done it loads now!

Best of luck

And if that doesn't work upgrade to Shimano! :lol: