GT bikes, anyone reccomend a rear pannier rack?

Toilet Duck
Toilet Duck Posts: 16
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Just about to get a GT Aggressor XC2 this week that I'll be lightly commuterising bit by bit, starting with a set of slick tyres.

But I'd like to eventually like to fit a rear pannier rack to allow carrying of stuff and things. So does anyone have a recommendation of good quality racks that could be fitted to a hard tail MTB?

And are there any baggage systems that clip on and off from such racks relatively easily?
New round here so excuse me if i ask dumb questions...

Comments

• IIRC Topeak do a range of bags that attach to their own racks with some sort of clippy mechanism
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Just about to get a GT Aggressor XC2 this week that I'll be lightly commuterising bit by bit, starting with a set of slick tyres.

But I'd like to eventually like to fit a rear pannier rack to allow carrying of stuff and things. So does anyone have a recommendation of good quality racks that could be fitted to a hard tail MTB?

And are there any baggage systems that clip on and off from such racks relatively easily?

I assume your bike has got disc brakes, for my hardrock pro (hardtail disc) I bought the Topeak disc specific rear carrier..... it's perfect .

topeak-super-tourist-dx-carrier-disc.jpg

They cost around £35, they also match topeaks 'lockable' bags but most panniers will fit.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Nelly999
    Nelly999 Posts: 1
    AndyManc wrote:
    I assume your bike has got disc brakes, for my hardrock pro (hardtail disc) I bought the Topeak disc specific rear carrier..... it's perfect .

They cost around £35, they also match topeaks 'lockable' bags but most panniers will fit.

how did you attach the rack at the bottom? My Aggressor XC2 doesnt have the necessary screw holes.

Thanks
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Nelly999 wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

how did you attach the rack at the bottom? My Aggressor XC2 doesnt have the necessary screw holes.

Thanks

Mine has, the rack has two spacers that push it away from the disc brake allowing the rack to be located.

Take your bike to your local bike shop, there are a number of solution to your problem, I'm sure they can find a fix or an alternative rear rack.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    You may also have a few problems fitting the top of the rack to the bit below the seat if your GT bike has the triple triangle arrangement. I had to customise bodge mine to fit on my GT Tempest.