Trek Fuel ex 8 Handling Question

rockhopper353
rockhopper353 Posts: 64
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Not had the bike long but really enjoying it especially since changing the tyres.

What do people think of the stem length (120mm), would the bike benifit from a shorter stem as I feel it's not as sharp on tecnical sections as maybe it could be, Im pretty much a beginner though so wondered if any other folk had swapped the stem and found it handled better ?

Also the bars are quite wide (660mm), on a ride with a group today my bars were the only ones that would not fit between a narrow opening, so im thinking of cutting them down or swapping them to see if that improves the handling.

It's an 09 model by the way.

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Getting a shorter stem and narrower bars will quicken up the handling, yes. 660mm is not wide though. About average I'd say.

But as you say, if you're really enjoying it, is it worth fiddling?

I'd get a shorter stem before cutting the bars, 120mm is a bit longer then what I'd usually use. But remember, the shorter the stem, the worse it will climb. And the narrower the bars, the less control you have.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I agree 660mm is not particularly wide for bars.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • 660mm bars :shock:

try wider bars and shorter stem, you should be able to keep the weight in a fairly similar place.

I run 700mm with a 45mm stem on one bike and 680mm with a 50mm stem on the other.
  • Thanks for the advice, im beginning to wonder if I measured the bars correctly as they were defo wider than any of bars used on the bikes in my group ride today..hmmm.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    660mm's a pretty sensible width, 2 years ago it'd have been considered pretty wide, now 700mm is the new 660mm :wink: I like slightly wider myself mind.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    660? Go with what feels best for you. I run 620 and 640 on the zaskars. Tight handling which works for me.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    shorter stem will help, its not just the steering becoming more responsive it changes your ballance point on the bike and puts you in a much better position for going downhill, you may find you get a liitle bit more lower back pain on the climbs tho.

dont cut the bars down tho that will make you more unstable on the bike.
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Thanks everyone for all the replys, I reckon I will look at trying a slightly shorter stem and see how that feels, I'm looking at a bit of a project on an old rockhopper hardtail so I can always stick it on that if no improvement.