I've just acquired...

david2
david2 Posts: 5,200
edited September 2009 in The workshop
... a beautiful German bike for a bargain price

It's a Utopia Kranich, must be about 10 years old and has a couple of oddities that I could do with someadvice on. I'd download a picture but I don't know how.

First is the FER Speichendynamo. How does that work. All I can find elsewhere on the web are a few german sites selling them, like this one:
http://www.fahrrad-richter.de/product_i ... cts_id=291
And I can't read German.

Then there's the Sachs torpedo pentasport 5 speed hub gear. Its skiping in 4th and 5th badly and I can't find anyway to adjust it. I've managed to download a maintenance schedule for a SRAM P5, which seems to be fairly equivalent and that shows a need to set an indicator on the clickbox window, but there is no such thing on the Sachs unit. Does anyone know if I could procure a SRAM cllickbox and fit it to the Sachs unit? Or maybe someone knows a secret to setting the Sachs Torpedo Pentasport 5

Comments

• Might be worth heading over to special interests section......
  • david2
    Thanks Woodford2barbican, I've followed your advice
  • just had a look at that german website...I know this isn't very helpful but that website doesn't explain at all how it works...it just says marketing blurb such as the fact it doesn't damage your tires or slip in the rain.. :( hope u have better luck elsewhere!!
  • generally with hub gears you set them to the neutral gear then adjust so the end of the toggle chain is level with the end of the axle.

Not sure if that'll help though, not to familiar with the particular hub.
  • david2
    thanks thomas123, seems my German's not as bad as I thought :o)

ride_whenever, I think you're describing the ol' Sturmey Archer there. As I was crunching my way home I was thinking "no problem, just got to adjust the screw to align the chain etc like any Sturmey hub" Imagine my horror when I got the plastic housing off the Sachs mech and instead of finding a chain found that the housing completely separated from the end of the hub which had two pistons protruding from it. Inside the plastic housing (which I later discovered is called a clickbox) are two metal plates that are aligned by a plastic block with serrations along one side. The serrations slide along a metal bar that goes click each time they do, thus the name I guess. The block is clamped to the cable which connects to the shifter on the handle bar. I can't help feeling it would be useful to be able to adjust the position of the plastic block on the cable but I'll be b******d if I can see a way to do it.