Freewheel on flip-flop hub

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited October 2009 in The workshop
Running an Halo Aerorage with flip-flop hub. If I were to put a freewheel on the fixed side of the hub would it cause any long term damage? The threads for the freewheel to sit on are thinner than the free side of the hub and wondering if this would be the cause for concern.
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    I asked the exact question a while back and was told it would be fine.

I'm sure I read it somewhere on Sheldon Brown that it was OK too.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Matt.K wrote:
    I asked the exact question a while back and was told it would be fine.

I'm sure I read it somewhere on Sheldon Brown that it was OK too.

Yes, it'll be fine. The threading is the smae and has to be able to take the load from a fixed sprocket. As a freewheel user you'll be putting less strain on the threads than a fixie rider would be, anyway.

Cheers,
    W.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Just out of interest redvee - which freewheel are you looking at?

I've got a pompino which has a double-fixed rear hub, and I'm looking to put a freewheel on one side so I can try single-speed cyclocross.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got a shimano 16t on the freeside and the fixed is empty at the mo but do have an 18t shimano freewheel in the kitchen cupboard that came with the bike. Can do most hills I've tried on a 44/16 but there are still a few in Brizzle that have yet to beat/be ridden by me.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Yeah - this is 48x18 - which is fine for the flat Reading commute, was a bit tough for the climb up to Stoke Row to marshall a race, and I suspect will be competely unsuitable for an upcoming cross race in Prospect Park (both the gear inches and the fact it's fixed)

Actually - on that note - anybody got some good rule of thumb for a good ratio for singlespeed cyclo-cross?

I know there's that 63XC site, but that feels a bit low for cross (I don't think there's much in the way of hills on this course)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...