Orange P7 & Maxxis Minion DHF - what size ?

JCJC
JCJC Posts: 162
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Hi,

I have an Orange P7 (2007) with Rock Shox Recon 351 forks on the front. What is the largest size Maxxis Minions DHFs I could fit ? 2.5 ? 2.7?

I have a pair of Maxxis Hookworm 2.5 (the park tyres that look like motorbike tyres) - there is about 2cm of clearance all round on the rear, but probably only 1cm on the front .

Many thanks
JC

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Recon 351 is 2.4 max quoted.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Far be it for me to question your reasoning, but why do you want to fit Minion DHs to a P7?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • JCJC
    Cheers Supersonic.

Dave_hill - why not ? I want something robust that I can huck down hills on - I am not fussed about rolling speed on the flats or anything like that. Maxxis seem like a good brand and DH's seem to fit the bill.
  • JCJC
    what would you recommend instead ?
  • dave_hill
    The reason I asked is that Minion DH are just that - downhill tyres. To me, they're not the first choice of tyre to fit on a P7 which after all is more of a general purpose trail bike. I'd have said ordinary Minions or High Rollers would be fine.

But it's your bike, you do what you like with it! Was just curious, is all!! Whatever floats your boat, as they say
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    P7 is not a DH bike really - hucking it will kill it eventually!
  • dave_hill
    supersonic wrote:
    P7 is not a DH bike really - hucking it will kill it eventually!

Amen to that brother!

...sorry, I seem to have come over all gospel... :shock:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • JCJC
    Sure, and thanks guys. Full susser was out of my budget.
    I will have a look at the tyres that you recommended as well. What are the key differences ?
  • dave_hill
    Well Minion DHF are a full-on downhil tyre with a dual-ply carcass whcih means that they are VERY heavy - over 1,3kg EACH!!

That said, they are designed to be run at low pressures for increased grip without damage to the side-walls.

The standard Minions and High Rollers have a single-ply carcass, meaning that they're MUCH lighter but they're still a great all-round performer if a bit hefty for trail riding.

As Super says though, the P7 isn't a heavy-duty freeride/DH bike and subjecting it to this sort of abuse will kill it eventually - it might even invalidate your warranty, if you still have one.

But as I said, it's whatever floats your boat - if you want to kill it, go for it!!!
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • JCJC
    1.3 kg ! Wow - thanks for that - I did not realise how heavy they were !
    Cheers !
  • I think you can get single-ply Minion DHFs, can't you? One of my friends runs it on the front of his trails rig and loves it. You certainly wouldn't want to be sticking a tyre like that on the back though...
  • JCJC
    Cheers - so what would you put on the back ?