Thanks to the guy who stopped to help when I fell today!

wrx
wrx Posts: 27
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Started out today on a planned solo trip, coming down a bit of bridleway single track that I have done hundreds of times before, someone had put big branches across the track (perhaps it was miffed walkers, as bikes do go very fast down there).

Track in in Woodcote near Reading.

Anyway, I pop over the first couple, then stop to let some faster riders by and carry on my way. The next big branch I pop the front wheel over, then the back flips up, I'm leaning forward to far and over the bars I go to faceplant into a tree.

It was my first proper off and I smacked my cheek against the tree! A bit shaken is an understatement.

A chap (who was with the three who passed me) came along and was really cool, making sure I was alright and that my bike wasnt screwed.

Thing is, I'm not sure if I said thanks or not (all a bit hazy) - so thanks for stopping and helping out. Glad you pulled up, and glad your mates made light of it (in a nice way), as that helped me get back on the bike and keep going.

In the end I carried on my way (a bit tentative at first), did the 20 miles and it ended up a good ride, nice sunshine, great tracks from Mapledurham to Pangbourne then Goring.

My ribs ache, my legs are gashed, but I feel like now its happened I wont be so in shock next time!

I pumped the tyres on the bike before setting off, I am sure that helped with the back wheel flipping up so much (bike is a HT).

Off for a curry tonight, I think I deserve it !!!

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Good that you and the bike are ok. Got to be a complete asshole not to stop when you see someone fall off.

Well done for finishing the ride, you would've felt rubbish if you'd just gone off home. My mate broke his wrist once, and we still carried on with the ride (another 2 hours). Although if we had known it was broken, I don't think we would've.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    What doesn't kill you always makes you stronger. I wish idiots wouldn't block the bridleways, its not against the law to cycle on them is it?
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Yeah, but it does also stop motorbikers and such using them. And sometimes they can be fun to jump over. Or it may have just been a tree that fell over in a storm.
  • Well done for carrying on with an enjoyable ride in the sun :)

Would have been a right downer if you'd limped home with your tail between your legs.

Shows us MTB's have the cup half full attitude !

Kudos to those that helped too !
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    RealMan wrote:
    Yeah, but it does also stop motorbikers and such using them. And sometimes they can be fun to jump over. Or it may have just been a tree that fell over in a storm.

Sorry Realman but a few logs aint going to stop illigeal motorbikes at all, in fact make it more fun to ride on a motorbike!