Another Example of RipOff Britain

Flanker37
Flanker37 Posts: 70
edited September 2009 in MTB general
I had never heard of 29ers until a month ago. And i would consider buying one instead of a regular 26"er. But come on, the cheapest one i can find in the UK is the Diamondback Mojito 29er for about £370 which is only single speed.

Then you are looking at close to a grand if you want gears.

The Yanks have had 29ers since 2007, and they can sell stuff like this http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/win ... 29comp.htm

why cant we get stuff like this accross the pond hmm?

things like this, and computers, electonics etc get really up my nose

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Go live in Canada then.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Go live in Canada then.
    :lol:
  • alomac
    alomac Posts: 189
    Try living in Australia or Sweden. Then you'll learn what expensive is and it will apply to everything.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I agree, 29ers are in the majority a rip off when you look at the parts. A 29 rim is just a 700c rim - roadie style.

The companies pick up on the fact that they are somewhat quirky and niche, then charge you loads for them. Same with some SS bikes.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's not "ripoff britain" at all this, there's no conspiracy to stop you having a cheap 29er, it's just that they're a much more niche product here still and a smaller market, so less are available. And those that are, are quality kit not entry level. Course, that's a self fulfilling prophecy, nobody sells cheap 29ers so less people try them than would if there were £400 bigwheels in Halfords.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I think people are ignorant of 29ers, i certainly was, i had never heard of them until there was a group test in MBR of touring bikes one of which was a 29er Santa Cruz i think.

If more people showed these in shops, i think more people would be interested in them.

thats just my opinion anyway.

Me personally, I'm just sick of the state of UK main roads, and never mind "B" roads.

I'm on minimum wage, i cant afford to have these roads fcuk up my expensive touring bikes wheels. Its the only bike i have, and i am looking for something else to do the going to work thing
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Flanker37 wrote:
    I'm on minimum wage, i cant afford to have these roads fcuk up my expensive touring bikes wheels. Its the only bike i have, and i am looking for something else to do the going to work thing

Get a ratter off Ebay and a big can of matt black spray paint. Spray the ratter all over. If it starts going rusty, spray it again. Add lots of stickers, a few plastic skulls and a camo net. Bis bash wallop, instant rat/survival MTB. Doesn't matter if it gets bent/nicked/wet/whatever.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yup, ancient 21-speed steel Rockhopper or similiar off Gumtree is another way, this old stuff usually lasts and drivetrains are cheap too. Then just add a couple of marathons or similiar. Perfect theftproof practical commuter, and also gives you better training :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist