Lizard Skin "Peaty" with bar ends ?

mrmcdean
mrmcdean Posts: 37
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Hi

I need a new pair of grips that lock on (just using the plain ones that came on the bike up till now). The problem is I cant tell from the photos that ive seen if the Peaty have an end cap (for want of a better description) as I use bar ends so need grips that I can slide past the end of my bars. Does that make sense ?

Can anyone please tell me if the Peaty range of grips would allow me to keep my bar ends ?

Also, any idea roughly how long they are as its getting a little cramped on my bars just now.

Cheers

Comments

• They have a bar plug but so you can run them past the end of your bars for bar ends, are you sure you want something that burly, and indeed even lock on with bar ends??
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    you need something like this with the bar end acting as the lock http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ergon/gc2-grips-ec008595
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    They do have bar plugs, and they are not attached to the actual grips.

M%20PART%20CARBON%20ROAD%20BAR%20PLUGS.JPG

Sort of like those, but not carbon, and they're for road bars.

Basically, you can run bar ends with them easily.
  • RealMan wrote:
    They do have bar plugs, and they are not attached to the actual grips.

M%20PART%20CARBON%20ROAD%20BAR%20PLUGS.JPG

Sort of like those, but not carbon, and they're for road bars.

Basically, you can run bar ends with them easily.

That's what (in my own convoluted way) I was trying to say lol
  • Cheers for the responses (i knew what you meant Cheesey :D )

Thanks for the link Craig but I dont think my tiny hands would fit round those monsters. Ive read that the Lizard Skins are reasonably narrow.

I finally got out on my first proper ride the other day and it rained, soon after my grips started to shift on the bars so im assuming that grips that lock on would be better.

Thanks again
  • touchy
    touchy Posts: 60
    edited September 2009
    mrmcdean wrote:
    I finally got out on my first proper ride the other day and it rained, soon after my grips started to shift on the bars so im assuming that grips that lock on would be better.

Give the insides a quick blast with spray paint or hairspray. Lubricates them nicely to slip on your bars and then sticks them on when it dries. (But you probably wont get them off again without cutting them.)
  • a touch of WD40 works for me, but just a touch mind ;)
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I've got the Peaty grips, and they are pretty chunky. I doubt they'd work well with small hands.

Also, the lock on collar would look clumsy with bar ends and waste space.

I love 'em, but in your shoes I'd go for something else.
  • I'll have to take a trip to a couple of shops to compare & contrast.

Cheers