Resting heart rate after a ride

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Okay, so my heart rate is obviously up during a ride. I don't have a means of measuring it but on some climbs I do notice it's pounding like mad and I'm thinking it must be 3 to 4 beats a second which is 180 to 240 a min :shock: !!!!. Maybe it isn't quite so high, but seems a lot. Anyway, it drops down to what I estimate is about 100 when I stop but might be lower.

My main concern though is when I get home, had a good rest and yet it's still 80 a min for the next 6 hours or so! Is that normal or concerning? I often feel light headed for a while after and sometimes quite a bit of muscle stress post exercise. I believe I'm hydrating properly though.

My normal resting rate is 60.

I'm 36, 5'7", 10 1/2 stone, and not a total exercise lightweight (been doing the mountain biking at least once a week for 2 to 4 hours on average, fair bit of walking too, for a good couple of years, and 2 to 3 weeks skiing annually).

Comments

• Shouldn't be anything to worry about - just your body recovering after an intense ride. Not sure what's causing you to feel light-headed though... are you eating enough before and after?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Might be low blood sugar, or low blood pressure.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Could be down to what I eat, or don't. If it's a weekend I tend to skip lunch or have a very light lunch.

Blood pressure is lower than what it used to be before I got more serious with the exercising but it's well within the normal range.

I've no idea actually what my rate has been after exercise until recently when I've checked it, and it just worried me that it stayed at 80 for so long. Mentioned it to my doctor once but it was dismissed as normal too.
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    normal heart rate is between 60-80, and goes up depending on age. how old are you? lower blood pressure can increase your heart rate. If your worried then seek advice from your GP.