Monkey Butt !!!!

Bairdie
Bairdie Posts: 4
edited September 2009 in MTB general
After years of riding mountain bikes, Hardtail and full suspension it finaly happened.
'MONKEY BUTT'
We were on a 5-6 hour xc route with lots of climbing, it was hot as hell, and I think my arse was a bit sweatier than normal. The result was a rash ,the exact shape of my sadle on my hoop, and unable to sit down never mind ride for a few days after without discomfort.
The problem is that was a week or so ago, and after a blast out the other night the rash came right back.
I have been running SDG saddles for years and think they are the best around, my cycling shorts are still in vgc. and no other geometery has changed on my bike.

Help please I am running out of our babys nappie rash cream !!!!

Comments

• I too have an SDG saddle, and don't mind admitting I sometimes get the same sore butt after a few hours of riding! The saddle is a good fit and I ride (as you should) with my sit bones in good contact. In my case, I think it might just be old age craeeping in, in the form of slight chubbiness in the thighs! If all else fails then try this, works for me! Buy a cheap bath sponge, and cut it into anice rounded crotch shape, then stick it down your shorts into place. Don't overdo the size of the sponge, a small well fitting bit is what you need to stop excessive rub!

So long as you have angled and positioned your saddle correctly, odds are it is not the saddle.

KK.
  • 2002 Ellsworth Isis
    1997 Santa Cruz Heckler
    1994 Cannondale M900
    1992 Specialized Stumpjumper
    1988 Marin Pallisades trail
  • i have a similar probelm bur i get a rash on the inside of my legs as if it is a giant version of ball rub, itchy as hell and is smooth and in a tanned colour :S i use dermol 500 and that works queit well oh yeah and baby powder.
  • The chamois cream looks interesting, although I prefer good old vaseline. Needs to be applied every 2/3 hours of riding though.

KK.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Sudocrem's supposed to be great for after riding, it's nappy rash stuff really but it's got a contact anaesthetic and it's antifungal and antiseptic, which is good. And it costs pennies from any chemist.

Chamois cream's a good idea but tends to be pricey. I've splatched E45 all over the place sometimes when I'm feeling a bit tender before a long ride, seems to work though it feels bloody horrible.
    Uncompromising extremist