New hydration pack, anything i should do before use?

jayson
jayson Posts: 4,606
edited September 2009 in MTB general
As the title really, ive just got myself one of THESE from CRC and was wondering if there was anything in particular i need to do before the first use or is it ok to just fill it and go??

Comments

• You'll need to face both ends of the tube, park tools sell a tool to do this but it's probably best to take it to the lbs. Once that's done you should reverse the polarity of the ions where it connects to the reservoir. To do this just leave it in the airing cupboard with two bananas of moderate girth overnight...

Rince it through with water before filling with drink.
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Just fill and go!

And don't let the mouth piece drag on the ground when you're not using the pack :P
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    And maybe once in a while use some sterilising wash, like Miltons.
  • adb1006
    If it has a removable bladder, then just remove and stick the bladder in the freezer after each ride - prevents any bacterial build up 8)
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Cheers guys thats all i needed to know :D Aslong as the weather plays ball me and a mate are off to castle howard on saturday to check out some of the riding there and i dont wanto to run out of water half way through the day or have it taste yucky cause i dint clean the bladder out first.

Looking forwad to the weekend :P :D
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    adb1006 wrote:
    If it has a removable bladder, then just remove and stick the bladder in the freezer after each ride - prevents any bacterial build up 8)

+1 - After every use.. for some reason, I add a bit of lemon juice too before sticking it in the freezer.. dont think it makes any difference, but I'm adamant that it makes it smell better! :)
  • wordnumb wrote:
    You'll need to face both ends of the tube, park tools sell a tool to do this

:lol:
  • fitch28
    fitch28 Posts: 155
    just don't get any milton in your mouth!

it burns! :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • adb1006
    fitch28 wrote:
    just don't get any milton in your mouth!

it burns! :evil: :evil: :evil:

It's almost as if it wasn't intended to be drunk!
  • Stav83 wrote:
    adb1006 wrote:

+1 - After every use.. for some reason, I add a bit of lemon juice too before sticking it in the freezer.. dont think it makes any difference, but I'm adamant that it makes it smell better! :)

Have not tried the freezer bit yet but use miltons to clean it the day before. But when adding the water I add a squeeze of lemon juice to give the water a little flavour.
    Weight on June 18th 129kg
    Target By June 15th 2013 - 100kg
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Weight July 1st - 127.3kg
  • fitch28
    lol, wasn't drinking it!!! was drawing it into the hose. didn't expect it to be quite as bad though!
  • Stav83 wrote:
    adb1006 wrote:

Just a point to note here, putting it in the freezer does not prevent bacterial and other germy things, it just slows down their growth... freezing doesn't usually kill germs.

Rinsing it threw every so often with something disinfectanty is still recommended...
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Forgot to mention, I'll boil the kettle first, sling in some boiling water (the dakine bladders hold up to this).. which kills the majority of the bacteria.. then the lemon juice, then the freezer.. :)

I try to replace my bladder every 6 months or so regardless though.. keep things fresh!
  • How are you finding that rucksack? Is there alot of storage space in there? I've been looking at one of those myself today.
  • Hmmm . . .
    Camelback Sterilising Tabs x 2 - £9.00 from Wiggle.

Or

Milton Sterilising Tablets x 28 - £2.00 from Boots
    Methinks I can smell a rip off!
    27092009461.jpg
  • Big Trak is awesome.
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    fitch28 wrote:
    lol, wasn't drinking it!!! was drawing it into the hose. didn't expect it to be quite as bad though!

No need to suck it up the tube.
    Just hold up the bladder high over a sink, then squeeze bite valve. Let it naturally syphon down. When the fluid comes out of the end stop squeezing... Job done.
  • fitch28
    aahh, alright then...

:oops: :oops: :oops:
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    wordnumb wrote:
    Big Trak is awesome.

i also have a fully working big trak, i must dig it out the attic :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Hmmm . . .
    Camelback Sterilising Tabs x 2 - £9.00 from Wiggle.

Or

Milton Sterilising Tablets x 28 - £2.00 from Boots
    Methinks I can smell a rip off!
    27092009461.jpg

BIGTRAK DO WANT
    LOL road riding.
  • I kept mine in the feezer once- had a horrible taste of garlic for ages :( :oops:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I kept mine in the feezer once- had a horrible taste of garlic for ages :( :oops:
    What, your bigtrak?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    :lol:
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    IMPORTANT POINT ABOUT KEEPING IT IN THE FREEZER:

Make sure you defrost it before use! Obvious, but didn't stop me taking it out of the freezer, immediately trying to flex the top to fill it and cracking the plastic on my hydrapak reservoir. :oops:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Belv wrote:
    IMPORTANT POINT ABOUT KEEPING IT IN THE FREEZER:

Make sure you defrost it before use! Obvious, but didn't stop me taking it out of the freezer, immediately trying to flex the top to fill it and cracking the plastic on my hydrapak reservoir. :oops:
    Yeah, run it under the tap for a few seconds first.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • hhhmmm, also make sure that it doesn't taste like plastic...my dad bought me a hydrapack, but I don't know what sort of horrible plastic the tube was made out of 'cos it tasted fine for about half an hour, after which it tasted of plastic so badly that it like burnt my mouth, suffice to say that when you racing in an Australian summer and dying of thirst, this is not a great event! :wink:

I have a Camelback now :D, it is rather perfect ;)
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig

Walk (Ride) softly and carry a big fish

Yay, 100 hundred posts :-)