Fork Advice Please

gfurmidge
gfurmidge Posts: 10
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Hi Guys

I have been offered a 2008 Fox Talas 32 RLC Fork for a great price which i am seriously considering.

I currently have a 2009 Fox Float 32 RL (OEM)

I know that the Talas is a "better" fork, with the Travel adjust etc., but is it a better fork with regards to the ride over the Float that I already have? Were the many major improvements from the 2008 models to the 2009?

Any advice would be gratefully received

Cheers

Comments

• talas every time !!
  • I'd stick with what you have unless you want travel adjustment and you know the other forks have been well treated.

The damping circuits are supposed to be slightly "better" on the Floats than TALAS but they're both really nice forks.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    If you need or want the travel adjust go for the TALAS otherwise I believe the Float has a superior feel (although I've only ridden the TALAS).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    As above - TALAS has additional feature - travel adjust - but as a result is inferior in pure suspension terms.

Unless you have a need for the travel adjust, you would be spending money fr something that's not as good as what you have.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Thanks for the advice guys

The price is really good - but i am torn between the travel adjust of the talas (which i think i will use) and the seemingly better ride of the Floats.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Air u turn from Rockshox is nice and smooth.

Where about in Rotherham are you from?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    gfurmidge wrote:
    Thanks for the advice guys

The price is really good - but i am torn between the travel adjust of the talas (which i think i will use) and the seemingly better ride of the Floats.
    I can't speak for you, it's your choice, but I've had two travel adjust forks, and only ever used the travel adjuster during the first week, as a kind of gimmick.
    After that I never touched it again.
    Second fork with travel adjust I got, has not (to my knowledge) ever been fiddled with even, I never bothered.
  • The price is from a Mate, so therefore silly low.

SS - I live near Wath - and work in Chapeltown, so get to Wharncliffe when i can.

yeehaamcgee - i will be riding the bike with them on today, so will see how they fare

Thanks for your input everyone