McQuaid re-elected

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2009 in Pro race
As presidente of the UCI
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Unopposed?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Some of the major federations don't want him in place, for example France and Germany. Only they won't say this in public because there's no point, the UCI's voting structure dilutes their voice. The Congress meeting sends delegates from each region and each delegate casts one vote.

Africa: 7 delegates
    America: 9 delegates
    Asia: 9 delegates
    Europe: 14 delegates
    Oceania: 3 delegates

So if the French or Germans were to say no to McQuaid then they'd split the European delegation and would have to rely on support from around the world.

Also, remember that the UCI is about a lot more than pro racing. It's bungled a lot with the Pro Tour but this won't bother the delegates from Oceania or Asia too much. The expenses regime at Aigle makes Westminster look tightfisted, when the Germans called for this to be audited and examined, few delegates supported this call: turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
  • I just couldn't believe the TdF went through Aigle this year, the cameras even picled up on the corridors of power!

Wasn't he elected in Madrid after some supporting words from the flying Dutchman himself?
  • 'Puppet' Pat McQuaid might be the president elect but it shouldn't be forgotten that Hein Verbruggen has been made the Honorary President of the UCI, so he is still in a good position to influence how the UCI works. It also seems this is a position he could well hold for ever and ever and ever...
  • 'Puppet' Pat McQuaid might be the president elect but it shouldn't be forgotten that Hein Verbruggen has been made the Honorary President of the UCI, so he is still in a good position to influence how the UCI works. It also seems this is a position he could well hold for ever and ever and ever...

Surely only until he dies. Unless he is a whole lot scarier than I gave him credit for...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Kléber wrote:
    Some of the major federations don't want him in place, for example France and Germany. Only they won't say this in public because there's no point, the UCI's voting structure dilutes their voice. The Congress meeting sends delegates from each region and each delegate casts one vote.

Africa: 7 delegates
    America: 9 delegates
    Asia: 9 delegates
    Europe: 14 delegates
    Oceania: 3 delegates

So if the French or Germans were to say no to McQuaid then they'd split the European delegation and would have to rely on support from around the world.

Also, remember that the UCI is about a lot more than pro racing. It's bungled a lot with the Pro Tour but this won't bother the delegates from Oceania or Asia too much. The expenses regime at Aigle makes Westminster look tightfisted, when the Germans called for this to be audited and examined, few delegates supported this call: turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

Why does Africa have 7 votes? And why does Europe have only 14? It should be much more proportional to actual participation of riders and races (with some balancing built in too).
  • donrhummy wrote:
    Why does Africa have 7 votes? And why does Europe have only 14? It should be much more proportional to actual participation of riders and races (with some balancing built in too).
    It's rigged this way so McQuaid can control the federations of the 'Mafia European nations', as he has called them. For example, France, Italy and Belgium. He is guaranteed loyalty from the cycling nonentities as they stand to benefit from the UCI's 'world' cycling model, funded by money drained from the established cycling nations. (And, if he gets his way, the TV rights to events such as the Tour de France).
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I'd certainly like to know how the voting breaks down, how many licence holders each delegate represents, I suspect a European delegate represents many more people than each African delegate. Not that it has to be a precise correlation, I'm all for expanding the voice of new countries. It would be nice to know the numbers though.