Wiggins Di2?

rowman
rowman Posts: 111
edited September 2009 in Pro race
Was Brad Wiggins riding with the new Shimano Di2 groupset today? I just wondered if that was the cause of his problem in the TT?

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    He dropped his chain which pushed his brake into his wheel or something.

There's a link in the Worlds TT thread
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Review here - they didnt seem to drop their chain : http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/clo ... ansmission
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited September 2009
    Lookie here - Normal DA bar end shitters.

WIGINS1.jpg_e_afaad5faf60ff928059a71ebf07581eb.jpg

EDIT: Looking at the wheels this is the spare bike...
  • ProCylcling told me that it's performance doens't deteriorate in the wet! That's amazing as when it rains the cables on my current groupset keep disintegrating to nothing!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    NapoleonD wrote:

That's not the bike he started on is it!? Could either be a bike he was warming up on, or the bike he got as a replacement after his mechanical... :?
  • Anonymous
    edited September 2009
    It was Di2...

Not that one dropped chain makes it cack!

30571203.jpg
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/76th-u ... otos/89135

Cant see the dropped chain thing is gonna be a plus for the uptake tho.
  • Anonymous
    Nope.

I thought this was meant to be a thing of the past with the self adjusting mechs...
  • Can't see it's function over a cabled gear set up myself...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    Graeme_S wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

That's not the bike he started on is it!? Could either be a bike he was warming up on, or the bike he got as a replacement after his mechanical... :?

Denied! Edit before the reply ;)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Denied! Edit before the reply ;)
    :D:lol:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    He obviously wasn't using his normal K-Edge Chain catcher, designed to prevent exactly this problem!! Seen here on his road bike:

1239709137708-134hd7zvksm2w-798-75.jpg
    1239709137714-1pq8zasbp8e2j-500-90-.jpg
    1242288978963-1pjceaqw1n1g0-500-90-.jpg
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Blame the mechanics! Hang 'em all from the nearest tree!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    The cage of the Di2 mech is no different to a conventional cabled system.Most - if not all - the causes of dropped chains apply in either case - incorrectly oriented, incorrect setting of the travel stops, over -zealous shifting to the little ring under full load. Most pro-bikes have a "dog-fang" or similar installed to catch an unshipped chain, so its far from unknown even at top level with cabled mechs.

I had the use of my LBS Di2 demo bike for a few days earlier this month. If cost isn't an issue, it is better (well, certainly nicer anyway) than the mechanical / cabled set-up, though the auto-trim is a little unnerving at first.
    However, cost has to come into it somewhere and its not worth the current premium.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Pokerface
    Splottboy wrote:
    Blame the mechanics! Hang 'em all from the nearest tree!

I know his mechanic. And in my opinion he's a total D!CK. But he does know his stuff.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Can't see it's function over a cabled gear set up myself...

If nothing else at all it means you can have gear change buttons on the aero bars as well as the side-bars on a TT bike, which is nice.
  • Wouldn't have happened with Campag :lol: :twisted:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Those O,symetric rings could have caused the problem, look at the gap between the ring and the derailleur cage. (I know this is his road bike, but he was using the same setup on the TT bike)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    All that fancy paintwork but the gears weren't set up properly. :roll:

I know bad luck can strike at any time but he just lost the chain shifting uphill, these things can be controlled. Even using dog fang / shark tooth blockers etc.
  • The way I understood it was he dropped his chain which knocked his rear brake out of alignment. The rear brake on the DA does not sit at the top of the wheel but just beside/underneath the chainring. Easy to do..
  • Pokerface
    csp wrote:
    Those O,symetric rings could have caused the problem, look at the gap between the ring and the derailleur cage. (I know this is his road bike, but he was using the same setup on the TT bike)

You are correct - the cage has to be set really far away to accommodate the oval shape. An accident waiting to happen...

I have the same chain catcher on my bike - and I STILL manage to drop me chain sometimes. If it's not set perfectly - the chain sill still slip through. Or can be pushed through under pressure. Like going uphill. :)
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    At the risk of being controversial and creating even more enemies... The whole mechanical was a convenient excuse for Wiggo. Im not saying that he caused it, but that was something he could have easily fixed... a freaking rubbing brake. Yes, he would have had to stop and fix it and probably lose 10-15 seconds and upset his rhythm, but he was on the last 300m of the hill, a slow part of the course, he could have got back up to speed etc... Wiggo was cooked and he knew it especially after Cancellara and "Numb Nuts" in tow came past him.

Flinging the bike at the barriers just cos he dropped a chain seems a bit disproportionate... In Kelly's day they would have put the bike on de shoulder and run the torty or forty miles to the finish... certaintly
    www.dotcycling.com
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    these things can be controlled. Even using dog fang / shark tooth blockers etc.

Appart from they'd need a pretty good bodge to fit them on a profiled TT frame. I'm sure it could be done but is something that would need some though.

However, basically the mechanical was a combination of sh*t designs. Q-rings make it easier for the chain to fall off, Di2 clearly suffers the same issues any front mech does (no surprises there) and the location of the rear brake is just asking for problems. But still I'd lay the blame more at the feet of the Felt frame designers than anyone else.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,238

Same here, just something else to go wrong IMO
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    emadden wrote:
    At the risk of being controversial and creating even more enemies... The whole mechanical was a convenient excuse for Wiggo. Im not saying that he caused it, but that was something he could have easily fixed... a freaking rubbing brake. Yes, he would have had to stop and fix it and probably lose 10-15 seconds and upset his rhythm, but he was on the last 300m of the hill, a slow part of the course, he could have got back up to speed etc... Wiggo was cooked and he knew it especially after Cancellara and "Numb Nuts" in tow came past him.

Flinging the bike at the barriers just cos he dropped a chain seems a bit disproportionate... In Kelly's day they would have put the bike on de shoulder and run the torty or forty miles to the finish... certaintly

I would have fired his *ss on the spot for flinging a very expensive bike like that. No call
    to be destroying(or trying to), so called, company property. What is he, 10 years old?
  • dennisn
    Pross wrote:

So you guys just want them to make the same stuff year after year? It's called progress.
    As for something else to go wrong, why buy a carbon bike? Or titanium? Or 11 speed groups? Or wheels with minimal spokes? Who needs a computer when a slide rule,
    an abacas, or even your fingers can do the same thing? Thanks to progress most of us are driving cars that we don't have to crank to start. You guys are missing the whole point. You don't like it because it's not what you're used to using and you may be afraid of change.
  • swagman
    swagman Posts: 115
    He didnt get his bike serviced at Halfrauds did he??
  • Anonymous
    dennisn wrote:
    Pross wrote:

So you guys just want them to make the same stuff year after year? It's called progress.
    As for something else to go wrong, why buy a carbon bike? Or titanium? Or 11 speed groups? Or wheels with minimal spokes? Who needs a computer when a slide rule,
    an abacas, or even your fingers can do the same thing? Thanks to progress most of us are driving cars that we don't have to crank to start. You guys are missing the whole point. You don't like it because it's not what you're used to using and you may be afraid of change.

Misc-Burn_him.jpg
  • dennisn
    NapoleonD wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Misc-Burn_him.jpg

I sense just a bit of disagreement in your post.
  • Contador is the Greatest