Tourmalet TT 2010 TDF

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,238
    Ouch, that'll hurt :shock: Could be good for Wiggins?
  • Contador would be nailed on to win that. But yes, an ideal stage for Wiggins as well.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • Pross
    Yep, Wiggo has shown he can now climb with the best but finds it hard to go with acceleration sometimes but the constant effort and his time trialling skills should be right up his street. Agree that Contador is favourite though. Will be interesting to see how Cancellara does!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Wiggins might do well there, but so will Andy Schleck for instance and all the other GC riders including those that can't TT. A mountain TT will normally replace a flat TT, and that is where Wiggins could gain time on podium rivals like Schleck. So I would say this is bad news for Wiggins.
  • I think the worse news for Wiggins is the stage to the Aunisque, we saw this year how he struggled on the stage to Le Grand Bornand.

Also, who's to say he will be in the same shape next year? He might focus on something else if he decides he doesn;t have a chance of the podium like he did this year.

Not that I want any of these things to happen of course...
  • Pross
    I'd have thought now that he realises that the podium is a genuine reality he'll be even more prepared. I think his stated aim was top 20 this year (which many laughed at)! He's also shown that he is capable of it now so any self doubt will have gone - not that he seems the sort to doubt his own ability!
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    I'm happy to wager that Wiggins won't get anywhere near the podium if there are as many summit finishes as rumoured.

He did well this year, better than expected, but lack of summit finishes and GC contendors going full gas uphill probably helped him a lot.
  • I would imagine that he will be able to draw on his positive experiences in this years Tour & go into next years with plenty of confidence.
    I seem to remember that he didn't do any stage reccey's as they (his team) didn't think he would place SO highly,& hopefully next year he'll be even better prepared.
    That said,I think he'll have his work cut out to beat Armstrong,who,heading up his own team,rivalry with Contador,etc,will see him ready & motivated to do even better than this years third place.
    Although I'm a fan of BW,I can't realistically see him making a massive jump up on this years already awesome performance,Though I'd love it if he did!
    If the Tourmalet TT happens,then it will be very interesting to see how Schleck copes.
    I've said for a long time that doing the Tourmalet is like doing a TT,being of a fairly constant gradient.I don't see him beating Wiggo on this,but as said before,it may remove a 'flat'TT whick would have been Wiggo's chance to gain time on schleck (though probably not much time on the other main contendors)
    so many cols,so little time!
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    On topic -- Stage 16 TDF 2004 was a TT up L' Alpe d'Huez (last time I bothered to go)

Now to comment on your off topic theme -- I'm sorry to say but I've seen all this before with a guy called Bobby Julich (1998) and all the media hype that he would return to the TDF podium and possibly win it. I said at the time "No Way" but the poor sod believed them and Big George believed them as well.

Now you and the media are off again with Bradley Wiggins and I do not think he will make it and this year he was lucky to be involved with one of the poorest TDF's in many years.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • So, a long TTT, a MTT and a probably, couple of long ITT's is my guess.
    LA lobbying hard?
    Not a fan of this sort of stage.
    Overrated, overhyped and tres risky with the fans.
    Could be another zzzzznoozefest.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • deejay
    So, a long TTT, a MTT and a probably, couple of long ITT's is my guess.
    LA lobbying hard?
    With Lancy in there it's bound to be yet again.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    deejay wrote:
    On topic -- Stage 16 TDF 2004 was a TT up L' Alpe d'Huez (last time I bothered to go)

That couldn't have gone well for you :wink:
    deejay wrote:
    Now to comment on your off topic theme -- I'm sorry to say but I've seen all this before with a guy called Bobby Julich (1998) and all the media hype that he would return to the TDF podium and possibly win it. I said at the time "No Way" but the poor sod believed them and Big George believed them as well.

Now you and the media are off again with Bradley Wiggins and I do not think he will make it and this year he was lucky to be involved with one of the poorest TDF's in many years.

Well, Julich's podium was a special case, no? There was a fair bit of "attrition" in that race for various reasons. :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    LA lobbying hard?

Another waste of a mountain stage .
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    DaveyL wrote:
    deejay wrote:

deejay wrote:

Well, Julich's podium was a special case, no? There was a fair bit of "attrition" in that race for various reasons. :D

Correct i reckon if ihad been riding that tour i may have made the podium........ok maybe not but you get the idea.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I would have thought the Pyrenean nature of the Tourmalet, the unevan gradients etc, would work more in favour of more explosive, light, Schleck types than a TT up an Alpe, which tends to have pretty consistant gradients.

Just a thought.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • teagar -it's apretty steady gradient all the way up actually. 8 and 9% for the entirety from Ste Marie de Campan. It should favour Bradley, more than on your typical pyreneanclimb.
  • teagar -it's apretty steady gradient all the way up actually. 8 and 9% for the entirety from Ste Marie de Campan. It should favour Bradley, more than on your typical pyreneanclimb.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    LA lobbying hard?

Another waste of a mountain stage .
    For visual effect,possibly
    In terms of effect on the overal,it would have far more effect than any of this years pyrenean stages
    So,on reflection,I don't think it is a waste of a mountain stage
    so many cols,so little time!
  • I hope I am wrong but I believe that Wiggins was a one hit wonder.
  • deejay
    DaveyL wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    Oh yes excellent and a very memorable evening up there, with some East Germans (and beer) from Cottbus and their football song about Energeeee, but the place (and Tour) is overrun with Lancy fan-boys now. ??
    I kept going when the Germans found out about the race and then the States found out also and they have Increased the amount of Camper Vans on the Tour.
    It is so bad that they have to get parked up, a couple of days early and in some cases the Police close the road the night before. They are seeing it pass on one mountain only and you can see on TV what morons there are now. The Atmosphere has changed now.
    DaveyL wrote:

Exactly, but the Media and his Fans still thought he would podium again and IMO Bradley is in a similar position and out of the reckoning "IF" they ever have a proper TDF with 3 or more days of continuous mountain stages. Roll on that day. :roll:
    We will know in the next few weeks if it is another Tailor Made Lance Tour again.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    teagar -it's apretty steady gradient all the way up actually. 8 and 9% for the entirety from Ste Marie de Campan. It should favour Bradley, more than on your typical pyreneanclimb.

S'not how I remember it when I went up it this August..
    http://www.climbbybike.com/profile/Col- ... rofile.jpg

Maybe I meant the other side...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • teagar wrote:
    teagar -it's apretty steady gradient all the way up actually. 8 and 9% for the entirety from Ste Marie de Campan. It should favour Bradley, more than on your typical pyreneanclimb.

that is the other side. I went up the west side in august and it is very steady
  • This year the rtbf commentators were dismayed at the lack of excitement on le Tourmalet which has such an illustrious history. Hopefully this will provide the mountain with a memorable day.

I would have Pellizotti as one of the top favourites. He won that MTT in the Giro last year (different beasts I know) beating Contador and doped up Sella and Ricco into the bargain:

1 Franco Pellizotti (Liquigas) 40.26 (19.142 km/h)
    2 Emanuele Sella (CSF Group Navigare) .06
    3 Gilberto Simoni (Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni) .17
    4 Alberto Contador Velasco (Astana) .22
    5 Riccardo Ricco (Saunier Duval - Scott) .30
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    No, it's not, the first 4 kms are pretty gentle, at around 4% before it ramps up towards the 8 or 9% sections;

http://www.salite.ch/tourmale1.asp
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    This year the rtbf commentators were dismayed at the lack of excitement on le Tourmalet which has such an illustrious history. Hopefully this will provide the mountain with a memorable day.

I would have Pellizotti as one of the top favourites. He won that MTT in the Giro last year (different beasts I know) beating doped up Contador, Sella and Ricco into the bargain:

1 Franco Pellizotti (Liquigas) 40.26 (19.142 km/h)
    2 Emanuele Sella (CSF Group Navigare) .06
    3 Gilberto Simoni (Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni) .17
    4 Alberto Contador Velasco (Astana) .22
    5 Riccardo Ricco (Saunier Duval - Scott) .30

Fixed that for you (just kidding!)
  • Rumour: Tourmalet from both sides on different stages including a ITT
    September 22 update: New update from Paddy Sweeney of Velo Peloton Vacances cyclisme. "Hi Steve. I had heard a rumour 3 times in the last week, it seemed a bit far fetched to be honest but in the last few days I have heard it from a source at the top of pro cycling. But it is this, the tour will climb Col de Tourmalet from both sides. The east on the stage from Luchon to Col d’Aubisque but also a ITT from Luz to the summit. Sounds mad I know but It is a very good source."
    Revised last week.
    17 July: Rodez - Revel
    18 July: Revel - Luchon
    19 July: Rest Day
    20 July: Bagnéres de Luchon - Col de Aubisque
    21 July: Tourmalet ITT
    22 July: Pau - Arette
    23 July: Pau - Bordeaux
    24 July: Bordeaux ITT
    25 July: Paris
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    21 July: Tourmalet ITT
    22 July: Pau - Arette
    23 July: Pau - Bordeaux
    24 July: Bordeaux ITT

A Tourmalet TT OK, but two ITTs in four days I don't find very believable...
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Happened in 2004.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    teagar wrote:

Did you mean snort???? Are you really Tom Boonen??????
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman