Do animals build trails?

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited September 2009 in MTB general
I was riding along a stretch of quality Chase singletrack the other day, figuratively scratching my head.

On one hand, I was wondering what kind of animal makes a handlebar-width trail down a hillside, avoiding drainage gulleys and making best use of the contours, while on the other hand, what kind of person builds a handlebar-width trail down a hillside, avoiding drainage gulleys and making best use of the contours without any tree-felling, branch-lopping, bench-cutting, steps or woodwork?

I couldn't imagine someone had actually gone to the trouble of building it but it seemed too good to be all-natural. How can I tell if trails like this are the work of the trail fairies/pixies?

Comments

• Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    deer are roughly the same width as a bike :)

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    sheep also make good trails.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • its well established that bike handlebars are sized to match the width of a deer's @rse

It's a sign of the times and the shocking levels of obesity amongst the deer population that 700mm wide bars are becoming the norm
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Hercule Q wrote:
    deer are roughly the same width as a bike :)
    Very true but I've never seen one follow any kind of trail, they just leg it into the undergrowth :?
    cee wrote:
    No sheep on the Chase. The panther has eaten them all :)
  • I follow a deer track on my local loop, but I used to detour round a section that was too low for me. Now I notice the deer follow my route and their original line has grown over.
    A truly symbiotic relationship between biker and nature.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Animals do indeed build trails, they seem to struggle with the concept of doubles and berms though. And their waymarking tends to be on the smelly side
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • i rekon it could be dogs trying to repair thier tainted reputation with cyclists, my Lurcher has a Zesty and woops my ass on any DH.
  • Badgers - well known for it - expensive and difficult to deal with but always deliver to contract
  • Current trail builders have a long way to go before they can match some of the achievements of the sheep! Surely everyone knows sheep make the best trails :D
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I think you lot just like following sheep... :shock:

Beavers are dab-hands at building raised boardwalks.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Thinking about it, is there actually such a thing as a truly "natural" trail? As soon as anyone walks or rides on it with any frequency it becomes "man-made" by definition.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Deer, boar, sheep.

Boar runs are pretty good. you just have to avoid the occasioal VERY low branch, extremely large alpha males and the wanabee alpha males with guns trying to shoot them.

(sorry, its pig killing season here (France) and weekend rides are getting fewer and fewer cos of these tools)
  • So if we get the right team of animals together we could have a pretty awesome trail built with zero effort?

:idea:
  • As an asides and because of your name and photo Llamafarmer,

I ride past a golf club quite often where they use alpacas/llamas (I'm no expert when it comes to South American native fauna) to keep the fairways in check. They should be good for trailmaking too, right?
  • cee wrote:

Wouldn't trust their North Shore stuff though.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Was Sherwood Pines built by beavers? :shock:
  • supersonic wrote:
    Snails do.

:lol:

We hit a deer in a Land Rover. It's back was higher than the bonnet. I fancy having a go on the trails that would make. It was rock'ard as well. Just shrugged and ran off after doing £900 worth of damage. I'd have needed a race prepped XC bike to keep up with the thing. No venison to pay for the dent that day :(

..................................................................................................................................................
    The road is long...so take a shortcut.
  • Clum84
    Clum84 Posts: 196
    Have you never heard of freeriding badgers?!
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
  • dave_hill
    Clum84 wrote:
    Have you never heard of freeriding badgers?!

You sick, sick, man....
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    Kiblams wrote:
    Was Sherwood Pines built by beavers? :shock:

Snigger. You said beavers.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic