viewranger mapping

fletch8928
fletch8928 Posts: 794
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Hello,
I am looking at viewranger mapping for my mobile and wondered if anyone knows if its ok? I am having a bash on the trial version and it looks ok, you can overlay it and all that sort of stuff but ultimately is it worth £45 for my area? It would cost a heap load more for the landranger maps and i think it would be simpler to use out on the trail. I would probably get a case and bar mount so its nice and visible and also for the gps (does that work in a backpack/pocket)

Alot of the places ridden arent easily followed nor marked and detours are not funny when you have the clock ticking.

Hope someone knows something and can share
cheers
fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!

Comments

• kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    you do know you can just purchase differnt tiles of the map for £20 without having to go adn download a whole pre-slected area
    what are brakes for again
  • Depends what you want to run it on. I have it on a nokia 5800 and use this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bicycle-Bike-Handlebar-Mount-Holder-for-Nokia-5800+Gift_W0QQitemZ110432539762QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090908?IMSfp=TL090908161002r5207

Works very well. I went for the £20 version but wish I had paid £50 (maybe slightly more) for the whole of england. Would have been cheaper in the long run.
  • thanks for the replies, its 5800 too, i put £45 to get the northern england bit. The cheaper bit looks to work out very expensive!!! So its an ok app then?
  • Hiya

I've just downloaded the trial version too. Does anyone know what the Nokia 5800 is like for battery power whilst using Viewranger??

My brother uses trailguru on his iphone and it drains the battery like theres no tomorrow!!
    Also if he gets a txt or call when using it, it stops recording the track he is doing!!

Redwinnie - is that bar mount and cover waterproof?? I'n not sure I want my phone getting wet and muddy in the middle of winter during a ride.
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    I have ViewRanger on the Nokia 5800.

I wrote a lot about it on this thread only yesterday:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12651324
  • I have been reading abit more and as mentioned before the square bundles look more like the way to go. 1-25000 not 1-50000, i didnt read hard enough. The box option would mean iyou can have it totally personalised and if i am right its upto 20,000 sq/km in1:25,000 of areas you want it for. so it could be 4 x 5,000 sq/km using mymap/selfmapping for £50.

joff69 the boxit cover sounds submergable so its gotta be able to take a shower or 3. I must look to see if you can get a solar charger as that would make a nice all round weekend away package.

EDIT: urbanjunkie have them for £22. Its sounding better and better
  • joff69 wrote:
    Redwinnie - is that bar mount and cover waterproof?? I'n not sure I want my phone getting wet and muddy in the middle of winter during a ride.

It's not water proof ,but it does hold the phone well. If its wet/damp out I just carry the phone in my camelbak, it stills gets a GPS signal and tracks well.

Worth noting 1:25000 is massively dearer than 1:50000. On a paper map this does help because it is obviously twice as clear. But on a screen why not buy the cheaper 50000 and zoom in that extra bit? Okay I know there is a difference but it is not worth the price.

Also of note is if you buy the over air token for downloading you own area you are restired to buying 10km x 10km squares. This is 100sq km (obviously).